*The bell drowned out.

Pos   Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:55 am GMT
Why can't we use the second example?

The truck driver's horns drowned out the bell.

*The bell drowned out.
Uriel   Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:33 am GMT
You need an object, something for the bell to drown out. "The bell drowned out our conversation," or something like that.

But if it is the bell itself that is the object, you can say, "The bell was drowned out". If that rule is hard to remember, just mentally tack on the original subject of the sentence -- "The bell was drowned out (by the truck driver's horns."

This is the same pattern you were asking about in the question about the use of the word "abort". The same word order applies.
Donny   Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:39 am GMT
If we can say "the boy fell ill", why not "The bell drowned out."?
Jim   Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:35 am GMT
It'll work as a noun phrase.

"The truck driver's horns drowned out the bell were not heard by the children attempting to cross the road."
Donny   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:13 am GMT
<The boy fell ill" is the same thing as "the boy became sick. They both make perfect sense. >

Why doesn't "the bell drowned out" mean the same as "the bell became impossible to hear"?
Donny   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:15 am GMT
<"The bell drowned out...."....It drowned out what? >

How about:

The market bottomed out.

The student dropped out.
Pos   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:17 am GMT
<Jim Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:35 am GMT

It'll work as a noun phrase.

"The truck driver's horns drowned out the bell were not heard by the children attempting to cross the road." >

Shouldn't that be "drowned out by the bell"?
Donny   Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:50 pm GMT
<Just because it works with some doesn't mean it works with all. This isn't a scientific principle. >

Saying that you don't know why is also OK, you know?
Uriel   Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:59 pm GMT
Donny, there ARE no "reasons why". We're simply telling you how certain word constructions are used or not used in English. Like mjd says, it's a language, not a science. We have no more control over these things than you do; we're just reporting the facts.
M56   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:46 pm GMT
Donny, there ARE reasons. Some verbs are causative. They talk about actions done by the Agents, or the cause behind actions, and the change/effect brought upon the Object by such actions. "Drown out" is one such verb. In the sentence above, the Agent (or cause) of the bells becoming inaudible are the horns being sounded by the truckdrivers or the truckdrivers themselves as they make that action. So, we can't say "the bells drowned out" because that would mean that the bells were the Agent that brought about the change, i.e. the bells becoming inaudible. In a normal world, we all know that bells cannot bring about such a change upon themselves.
Jim   Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:09 am GMT
Pos, you're right. I hadn't noticed that. No, that won't work.

"Bottom out" and "drop out" are phrasal verbs: two words but one verb.
M56   Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:15 am GMT
<<I don't think Donny cares about how language is actually used. I think he's either trying to be difficult for the sake of being difficult, or trying to find some sort of "formula" for all of this. >>

Do you need to be so rude to other posters?
M56   Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:53 pm GMT
<I just don't really understand when someone is combative about learning a language. >

You'd rather we were sheep?
larklake   Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:20 am GMT
in the setence 'The bell drowned out. '
'drown out' is a transitive verb.it need a object.
right?
M56   Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:50 am GMT
<One who is learning English should be interested in how the language is spoken by native speakers.>

Do all native speakers agree on usage then?