How to pronounce NIKON (tm)?

Kelly   Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:39 am GMT
Hi, please tell me which is the correct way to pronounce NIKON (tm)?

JC Wells' Longman pronouncing dictionary has ['nIk@n], but people seem to pronounce it ['naik@n]. Should I trust this dictionary or follow the rules set by users?

many thanks
Guest   Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:15 am GMT
[nikO~n]
Uriel   Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:24 am GMT
In the US, Nikon is pronounced with a long I.
Jim   Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:17 am GMT
It's a Japanese company. Therefore I'd say, if there is to be any "correct" way of pronouncing it, then it would have to be the Japanese way. That would be [nikOn] (in X-SAMPA).
Jim   Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:28 am GMT
The closest thing in (Commonwealth) English phonology would be (AusE) /nIkOn/, (RP) /nIkQn/ or (GenAm) /nIkO:n/.
Jim   Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:29 am GMT
Ignor the "Commonwealth" bit above: I forgot to delete it after adding GenAm.
Guest   Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:38 am GMT
The Japanese seem to have a nasal in there, the way they pronounce it.
Jim   Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:47 am GMT
Yeah, that'll happen when you've got an [n] following: /nikon/ ==>> [nikO~n].
Sho   Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:27 am GMT
Jim,
I'm a native Japanese speaker, and in the standard Japanese accent, we don't have a alveolar nasal stop at the end. Instead we simply have a nasal vowel [o~] or a uvular nasal stop [o~N] following it.
It's a common mistake to have [n] instead of [N] in such words (often by English speakers), and it's usually okay because they're not contrastive themselves when they're at the end of speech, but there are many minimal pairs when they're followed by a vowel.

hon o /hoN o/==>>[hO~N O] book (objective)
ho-no /hono/ ==>>[hOnO] "of canvas"

men o /meN o/==>>[mE~N O] noodle (objective)
me-no /meno/==>>[mEnO] "of eyes"
Guest   Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:02 pm GMT
so how the hell do u say NIKON then ?
Sho   Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:40 am GMT
So in Japanese,
nikon /nikoN/==>>[JikO~N]

and the dialect of American English I speak,
nikon /ni:kA:n/
Mxsmanic   Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:17 pm GMT
In American English, Nikon is NOT pronounced with a long 'i' ([iː] or [ɪː]; it is pronounced with a diphthong, namely, [ɑɪ̯]. They are not the same thing, despite many books that confuse them.

Vowel length is not phonemic in English. In order to avoid confusion, it's best not to refer to it when identifying phonemic vowel sounds.
Guest   Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:00 pm GMT
Give up on IPA. No one can read those phantom squares or bothers/knows how to enable their browsers to read them. Stick to X-SAMPA.
Guest   Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:04 pm GMT
No, stick to IPA so no one bothers with your posts which are often erroneous anyway. e.g. "In American English, Nikon is NOT pronounced ...[i:]" and "Vowel length is not phonemic in English".
Guest   Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:54 pm GMT
Ni like in "nee_d" and kon like in "kon_g"