Does english have subjunctive?

G.D.R   Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:44 am GMT
Does have english a subjunctive? Im mean we say ''if i were you'' but were isn't a morphological subjunctive! I mean it the same of the imperfect! There's no morphological subjunctive like,say, in italian, or there is?
Benjamin   Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:34 pm GMT
There is a subjunctive in English, but it's rarely used. Here are some examples. Compare:

we insist that Martha tell the truth
we insist that Martha tells the truth

and...

we hope that John be honest
we hope that John is honest

>> Im mean we say ''if i were you'' but were isn't a morphological subjunctive! I mean it the same of the imperfect! <<

It is not the same as the imperfect; the imperfect indicative of 'to be' in the first person singular is 'I was'.
JJM   Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:24 pm GMT
English does have a subjunctive; not much of one, but it does pop up here and there.

There are two idiomatic subjunctives:

1. The use of "were" in place of "was" in expressions such as "if I/he/she were you." Note however that this not obligatory; many English speakers simply say "was."

2. The odd construction "had better" which is probably a left-over from an earlier more developed subjunctive form. Ellipsis permits "had" to be dropped in many circumstances:

I had better go.

I better go.

Apart from these, the subjunctive only shows up in two other forms:

1. The use of the "be" base verb form throughout rather than "am/are/is":

I am glad to see that you are ready for the meeting.

It is imperative that you be ready for the meeting.

2. The use of the base verb form rather than the inflected "-(e)s" form in the present third person singular:

The new driver wears safety goggles and a proper helmet.

It is recommended that the new driver wear safety goggles and a proper helmet.

Finally, the subjunctive appears in a number of what are increasingly idiomatic constructions:

Long live the Queen!

God bless you!

However, the subjunctive is definitely in trouble, particularly in British English where there is a marked preference for avoiding completely by using either a modal, an infinitive construction or just the normal indicative form:

It is imperative that you should be ready for the meeting.

It is important for him to prepare himself adequately.

It is recommended that the new driver wears safety goggles and a proper helmet.

By the way, "hope" does not take a subjunctive:

We hope that John is (not "be") honest.
G.D.R   Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:58 pm GMT
So in conclusion english does not have a morphological subjunctive!
Kelly   Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:02 pm GMT
It is high time she were in bed.
JJM   Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:34 pm GMT
"So in conclusion english does not have a morphological subjunctive!"

So in conclusion it certainly does.

Not much of one, but it's there.
Travis   Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:14 am GMT
>>So in conclusion it certainly does.

Not much of one, but it's there.<<

In particular in North American English, where it is still definitely productive in both the past and present subjunctives in even everyday speech.
Franco   Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:39 am GMT
I hope that JJM eat himself! That is correct!
Mxsmanic   Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:12 pm GMT
"If I were you" is indeed an example of the subjunctive, and perhaps the most common example.

The subjunctive is used in cases where you'd expect a subjunctive mood to be used: possibility, doubt, hypothesis, desire.

Thus, the following are examples of the subjunctive in English:

"If I were you …"

"The powers that be …"

"I'd prefer that he read more books."

"If that be the case …"

The conjugation of the subjunctive is very similar to that of the indicative, which is why it isn't very noticeable in English, but it's there, and in some cases it even forms a contrast with the indicative.

"If he were here, there'd be evidence left behind."

"If he was here, why don't I see any evidence?"

The first makes it clear that only a hypothetical possibility is being discussed, and it seems doubtful that it corresponds to reality. The second treats the possibility as an asserted reality, and then contrasts it with the observed reality. In the first case the speaker isn't really concerned with what really happened; in the second case, someone has claimed that something happened, but the speaker doubts it.