English and intelligability with Germanic languages

Guest   Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:44 pm GMT
But romance languages differ on those basics, too.

"Hablo ingles."
"Tengo hambre."
"Te amo."

Only the third Spanish sentence is similar to the French one.

Anyway, I don't see much similarity between English and other Germanic languages in terms of grammar. German grammar looks very complex to me. Not nearly as simple as English.
Guest   Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:01 am GMT
"Yes, an Anglophone and a Latinophone understand each other perfectly when talking about such abstract issues as....the mutual intelligibility of languages....."

No, a latinophone doesn't "understand perfectly" an anglophone, even when speaking about abstract issues... the problem that latin speakers have with english is that they could understand some vocabulary but are completly unable to understand the words that link those cognates together and that give them sense, such as articles or most usual verbs.
In the ex. "the mutual intelligibility of languages" - we recognise the word "mutual", "intelligibility" and "languages", but are completly unable to guess the syntax (word order, articles, verbs) without learning the basis of the language. An english sentence with latin cognates seems to us as a unlogical copy-paste of latin words in an exotic system. If we don't know the meaning of basic words like "the" or "of", and don't understand the english word order this sentence is very far to be "perfectly understandable"
I think that some english speakers, derouted by the other germanic langauges's strong differences in specific vocabulary deeply overestimate the latin influence in English.
Tiffany   Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:28 am GMT
Fredrik's point fits exactly what you are saying, Guest. The words in English vocabulary that originated from Latin words are often formal words that are not used in everyday conversation. English is a Germanic languages because despite the Latin-influence on our vocabulary, the structure and common speech are still overall Germanic.

Perhaps "perfectly" is a little strong, but to say they would get a good, undeniable gist of what was being said would not. I don't think there is an overestimation of English's true Germanic nature by the educated people on this board. A few trolls and newbies like to make an appearance here and there, put up something controversial or ignorant (or both) while they are passing through. And then the general population of English speakers outside this board usually don't care enough to find out what English is or isn't.
JGreco   Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:44 am GMT
Why use the word "trolls" THIS IS A CHILDISH WORD. This is a word 3rd graders in General American English utilize not adults. Is is almost as if a person who does not use English as their first language saw the word in a movie that uses bad dialogue and thought it would be appropriate. Also if that statement that tiffany just posted is directed at me all I have to say that it was a "CHEAP SHOT."
Tiffany   Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:53 am GMT
What are you talking about? My post is addressed to Guest. Please read the first sentence.

To clarify, I am also not denying the Latin influence of English vocabulary and agree with you that Modern English is not mutually intelligible with the other big Germanic languages. I'm not sure how this misunderstanding arose, but take it easy, ok?
euro   Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:43 am GMT
>>Fredrik's point fits exactly what you are saying, Guest. The words in English vocabulary that originated from Latin words are often formal words that are not used in everyday conversation. English is a Germanic languages because despite the Latin-influence on our vocabulary, the structure and common speech are still overall Germanic<<

>>that are not used in everyday conversation.<<

Not used in everyday conversation? By whom ? By you? Excuse me but we are learning Proper English here, not STREET ENGLISH or American slang !

This are just the Latin words extracted from your nonsense text.

Point
Exactly
Vocabulary
Originated
Latin
Formal
Used
Conversation
Languages
Because
Despite
Influence
Structure
Common
Germanic

Your nonsense text doesn’t make any sense without the Latin words!

>Fredrik's fits what you are saying, Guest. The words in English that from words are often words that are not in everyday. English is a the - on our, the and speech are still overall.<

Not used in everyday conversation? By whom ? By some uneducated and retarded slang “Street English” speakers using a vocabulary of 1.700 words?

75% of Students learning English are using it for Business and Academic use, not to chat with those retarded “Street English” slang native speakers.

English certified TOEFL and TOEIC and IELTS tests results, denote a usage of 70% Latin words including tests of Academic English (IELTS).

In the UK the “everyday English” greatly differs from the working class to middle class, depending on the education level.
Tiffany   Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:54 am GMT
Euro, exactly.

That's why I discriminate against people whom are fluent in
Italian and Spanish, it's not* my fault most of my life was dealt with being my husband play-pal, until recently. When now all he does is work and goes out with his hoes and leaves me at home to cook him food and wait for him at night.....while he'll just go asleep.

That's why I learnt Italian so I could tease him and cuss him out in his tongue. :(

On the contrary I'm also LEARNING English for the remainder of this
month then I'll go back in the bedroom and await my "SasiChi" to arrive and do me....
Tiffany   Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:19 am GMT
<<Tiffany Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:54 am GMT>>

The above post was not by me, obviously. Please delete this Moderator.

euro,
We are talking about everyday conversation, not my post, with is more formal.

Everyday conversation:

"Good morning! How are you? Did you sleep well."
"No, I think I got up on the wrong side of the bed. Took me forever to get dressed."
"I'm sorry. Can I get you something then?"
"No. nothing. I'll be fine in a little while, but thanks."

Why can't you debate with me without trying to denigrate me? Retarded "Street English" slang? I'd hardly call what I speak that as a working professional. Have some maturity please.
euro   Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:28 am GMT
TIFFANY wrote--->>>>

The above post was not by me, obviously. Please delete this Moderator.

euro,
We are talking about everyday conversation, not my post, with is more formal.

Everyday conversation:

"No, I think I got up on the wrong side of the bed. Took me forever to get dressed."

Why can't you debate with me without trying to denigrate me? Retarded "Street English" slang? I'd hardly call what I speak that as a working professional. Have some maturity please.

I wrote-->>>

Why do you KEEP...mentioning your "daily life?" I think the impersonator or you may have the right idea on how you live. thus, *someone* Has the right impression of you.
Tiffany   Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:34 am GMT
Euro, your absolutely correct.

I'm just a feline BLOOD-sucker whom likes to jump on guys Johnsons.

Everyday conversation:

this is my personally LIFE-->>>

"Good morning!" Scum bag! How are you doing with your HOES? Did you fuck'em well?

No, I suppose I got up on her and did her in the wrong spot. "Took me forever to get it in."

"I'm sorry, dear. Can I get you some lotion then?"
No. nothing. I'll be fine in a little while, I have an appointment with this
homo-sexual."
Tiffany   Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:51 am GMT
I've more situations and daily life things to elaborate on, but hey it's anti-moon I'll squeeze on inn.

Everyday conversation:

Good morning? Il capo, Why don't you have sex with me anymore?

I don't have time, I need to save energy for my OTHER appointments. I'm a male gigalo as you may see. I just don't like you anymore, and frankly I'm fed up!

Here's the Italian "cussing"

Perche no? io sono la migliore di sesso! tu lo sai!

Non e certo! tu puzzi! Non me piace! putana della merda!

I'm just sorry, I'm just bitter; I need some professional HELP!
Aiutami! qualcuno!
Tiffany   Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:24 am GMT
My stalker again. How nice. My daily life is of no import to Antimoon and I will rarely discuss it as there is no need. Anyway, I'll leave this thread, for the time being. I'll return when there is some intelligent conversation, because it is seriously lacking here.
euro   Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:32 am GMT
Tiffany we are not discoursing here “Street English” , “bedroom English” or COMMON ENGLISH.

<<Good morning! How are you? Did you sleep well."
"No. nothing. I'll be fine in a little while, but thanks.<<

Oh my god ! That is something you can only speak as a native speaker in your private life. Your opinion about English, is from your private life perspective and as a native speaker. Very subjective and self centric.

As I said :

>>75% of Students learning English are using it for Business and Academic use, not to chat with those retarded “Street English” slang native speakers. (or to chat in the bedroom)

English certified TOEFL and TOEIC and IELTS tests results, denote a usage of 70% Latin words including tests of Academic English (IELTS).<<

We are speaking about the English as a whole!

In the bedroom:

<<Good morning! How are you? Did you sleep well."
"No. nothing. I'll be fine in a little while, but thanks.<<

At work:

>>Our consortium would continue with legal action against his company and the government, despite the transport utility's decision to sell the 5 percent held by its pension fund .

consortium
continue
legal
action
company
government
despite
transport
utility's
decision
percent
pension
fund

Without LATIN words

>>>Our would with against your and the, the to sell the 5 held by its.

Dear Tiffany, students worldwide learn English, as a business conversional tool, or for Academic and cultural purposes, using English as a language bridge. Not to chat in the bedroom.

The importance of the “High End English” Latin in terminology, is crucial even for YOU and all native speakers. The ability to compose a successful C.V (curriculum vitae) or a Resume (French - résumé). As well as in Professional life, career and business activities.

In the European Union there is a huge request for Business English classes only, as a global importance for trade and communication, besides we’ll never speak it in the bedroom anyway.

Just Remember:

>>Our consortium would continue with legal action against his company and the government, despite the transport utility's decision to sell the 5 percent held by its pension fund .
Travis   Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:01 am GMT
>>Our consortium would continue with legal action against his company and the government, despite the transport utility's decision to sell the 5 percent held by its pension fund .<<

You do realize that anyone who actually *spoke* like that for any period of time would sound absolutely ridiculous, do you?
someone   Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
>>I want to learn English for business and for my work.Only the Romance speaker have this advantage, the others have to learn every english word. <<

Yeah, that is correct . Only the Romance speakers have this advantage, Non Romance speakers are having some big problems learning English, word by word...

A Romance speaker can learn English much faster than even a Germanic speaker, because of the 70% Latin words in English, he already understands...not the case for a Germanic speaker.