Transductionem ad linguas neo-latinas

Johnathan Mark   Mon May 22, 2006 11:04 pm GMT
Tiffany, the Spanish 'll' was originally pronounced in a manner that sounds similar to 'li,' very palatized and with the entire tongue close to the roof of the mouth. I have heard that this pronunciation, known as lleismo (as opposed to yeismo, in which 'll' is pronounced identical to 'y') still survives in parts of Castilla (Note--Italian Castiglia and Spanish Castilla were originally pronounced the same, I believe).
Johnathan Mark   Mon May 22, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
Tiffany, the Spanish 'll' was originally pronounced almost like 'li', only very palatalized, with the entire tongue very close to the roof of the mouth. I have heard that this pronounciation, known as lleismo (as opposed to yeismo, which merges 'll' and 'y') is still to be found in parts of Castilla.
Benjamin   Mon May 22, 2006 11:34 pm GMT
Jonathan is right — that's the pronunciation that I've learnt (which invariably would have been Standard Castilian Spanish).

So, for « me llamo », I'd pronounce « may lyamo » (ish).
JGreco   Tue May 23, 2006 12:17 am GMT
To me "me llamo" is pronounced "meh zhamoh" and in Argentinian it is "meh shamoh".
Johnathan Mark   Tue May 23, 2006 12:35 am GMT
Those phenomena are known as zheismo and sheismo, respectively, and are seen as varieties of yeismo, unless 'll' and 'y' are distinct. Are they for you, JGreco?
JGreco   Mon May 29, 2006 12:30 am GMT
"ll" and "y" are beginning to show little distinction between the two pronunciation. I am also noticing by watching Univision and other networks that this pronunciation is beginning to be standardized now.
Aldvs   Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
<<"ll" and "y" are beginning to show little distinction between the two pronunciation...>

Really "ll" and "y" must be pronounced identical. They sound similar to "j" in words like jail, jerk or John. Argentinians and Uruguayans pronounce both more or less like "sh" in shame or shower but that's only a local accent.
LAA   Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:22 pm GMT
As far as relations between neo-latin languages go, I would have to say that French is the most distant. When I was conducting my survey on French culture with the Italian guests at our hotel (who spoke absolutely no English at all), I was able to converse with them in Spanish. I knew a few phrases, or a couple of words in Italian, and I used those in place of Spanish, such as, "Por favore", bonjorno, arrivederci, and caou, and so on, as a courtesy. But, we were able to use Castellano as a common language, even though they only spoke Italian.

I could never have done that with French. Portuguese is also a beautiful language, although in terms of vocabulary, it is very similar to Spanish, it seems almost more of a middle ground between French and Spanish, because of the pronounciation of many words, with that nasalization and such. Italian also seems, in terms of vocabulary at least, to be halfway between French and Spanish, but when phonology is included, it is clearly more similar to Spanish.
Geogero   Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:53 am GMT
I gave try for a Romnian translation, if ayone would be interested.

ITALIAN
Continuavo a camminare per le strade inzuppate nell'oblio
andavo per i parchi con i fantasmi e con gli angeli
andavo senza luce, andava senza sole, andava senza un senso, continuava a morire continuava a volare sul mare con le ali rotte.
Hai amore, sei apparsa nella mia vita e mi hai curato le ferite
Hai amore, sei la mia luna, sei il mio sole, sei il mio pane di ogni giorno.
Sei apparsa con la tua luce, non hai barriere, non hai barriere no,
sei la gloria degli dei, asta la muerte
In un mondo di illusione, io ero condannato, ero abbandonato
vivevo senza senso ma poi sei arrivata tu.
Hay amore, tu sei la mia religione
tuo sei luce, tuo sei il mio sole
apri il cuore, apri il cuore .

ROMANIAN
Umblam pe străzile înecate în uitare,
prin parcurile cu fantasme şi îngeri decăzuţi
umblam fără lumină, umblam fără soare, umblam fără sens,
continuam să mor, continuam să zbor deasupra mării, cu aripile frânte.
Amor, ai apărut în viaţa mea şi mi-ai alinat durerile, mi-ai vindecat rănile
Amor, eşti luna mea, eşti soarele meu, eşti pâinea mea cea de toate zilele.
Ai apărut cu lumina ta nemărginită,
Eşti gloria amândorura, eşti cel ce străpunge moartea.
Într-o lume a iluziilor, eram condamnat, eram abandonat
Trăiam ăfră sens, dar ai apărut tu.
Amor, eşti religia mea
eşti luna, eşti soarele
ce-mi deschide inima.

Note: In Romanian, "amor" is oftenly used in poetry. Normally, people use "dragoste" or "iubire"
Georgero   Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:55 am GMT
Edit>

eşti lumina, eşti soarele
ce-mi deschide inima, ce-mi deschide inima.
Georgero   Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:09 am GMT
The most interesting fact is that the entire Romanian text has words which are of Latin origin. There is not a single Slavic word in that text. And I didn't want it to be like that. I just discovered that after I wrote the text.
Georgero   Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:57 am GMT
Indeed, Aromanians use "vreare". But it is just another sense of Romanian word "a vrea", "to want", "to desire". Romanians have the word "dorinţă" (from Latin word "dolus", "dolere", like a pain of the soul when somebody is not having what he desires) which sometimes has the exactly same meaning as "vreare", of love and sexual desire. "Vreare" sounds a bit archaic, that's all. Anyway, the idea is that both Aromanians and Romanians used the same thinking mechanism even if they now use different words.
fab   Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:40 am GMT
" As far as relations between neo-latin languages go, I would have to say that French is the most distant. "

el mas lejano de que ? De latin o de Espanol ?
Y de que punto de vista ?
cada idioma latino tiene sus propias caraceristicas que le da un sabor suyo.

" When I was conducting my survey on French culture with the Italian guests at our hotel (who spoke absolutely no English at all), I was able to converse with them in Spanish. "

De verdad ? Ahora puedes hablar Espanol ?

" I knew a few phrases, or a couple of words in Italian, and I used those in place of Spanish, such as, "Por favore", bonjorno, arrivederci, and caou, and so on, as a courtesy. "

No es "bonjorno", pero "buongiorno" - muy similar al "Bonjour" frances, bastante differente de "buenos dias".

arrivederci, proviene de "a riverdere" = "au revoir" en frances

"Caou" ? quieres decir "ciao" ? o "tchao" en frances.

"I could never have done that with French. "

si sabias hablar Italiano, podrias hacerlo.

" Portuguese is also a beautiful language, although in terms of vocabulary, it is very similar to Spanish, it seems almost more of a middle ground between French and Spanish"

Portugues es mucho mas similar al espanol que el Italiano.

" because of the pronounciation of many words, with that nasalization and such. Italian also seems, in terms of vocabulary at least, to be halfway between French and Spanish, but when phonology is included, it is clearly more similar to Spanish. "

por el vocabulario Italiano es mas cercano del frances.
Por la prononciacio, el Castellano tiene bastante influencia arabe, que le da un sonido bastante diferente del suave italiano.
Jacyra   Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:44 pm GMT
brazilian translation:

eu ia caminhando pelas ruas empapadas no esquecimento
ia caminhando pelos parques com assombrações e com anjos caídos
eu ia sem luz, ia sem sol, continuava morrendo,
continuava voando sobre o mar com as asas partidas
ai amor, você apareceu em minha vida e curou minhas as feridas
ai amor, você era minha lua, era meu sol, era o pão de cada dia.

Você apareceu com sua luz, nunca vá embora não, não vai embora!
Você é a gloria dos dois até a morte.

Em um mundo de desilusão, eu estava condenado, estava abandonado
Eu vivia sem sentido, mas chegou você
Ai amor, você é minha religião.
Você é minha luz, é meu sol!
Abre o coração, abre o coração!
Jacyra   Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:45 pm GMT
brazilian translation:

eu ia caminhando pelas ruas empapadas no esquecimento
ia caminhando pelos parques com assombrações e com anjos caídos
eu ia sem luz, ia sem sol, continuava morrendo,
continuava voando sobre o mar com as asas partidas
ai amor, você apareceu em minha vida e curou minhas feridas
ai amor, você era minha lua, era meu sol, era o pão de cada dia.

Você apareceu com sua luz, nunca vá embora não, não vai embora!
Você é a gloria dos dois até a morte.

Em um mundo de desilusão, eu estava condenado, estava abandonado
Eu vivia sem sentido, mas chegou você
Ai amor, você é minha religião.
Você é minha luz, é meu sol!
Abre o coração, abre o coração!