Cuban dialect; similar to Castilian or Latin American

Luis Zalot   Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:54 pm GMT
The most obvious difference between spoken Latin American Spanish (except for Argentina) and spoken European spanish is the form of "Vos". Instead of "Tu corres"(You run) it would be "Vos corréis"(Thou Runeth?), but sometimes in Latin America, Vos seems to be substituted as another form of "Usted", as in "Vos corre"(Thou Runs) instead of "Vos corréis"(Thou Runeth?)

Well you were almost correct.

tu corres (you run, spanish informal)
Tu curres (informal, classical latin)
Usted corre (you run, formal)
vos curret (classical latin, formal)

Vos corrés (Argentina) Usted corre (formal)

CASTILIIAN SPANISH

Vosotros corréis or Os corréis (informal)

Ustedes corren or se corren (formal)
Luis Zalot   Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:00 am GMT
I think "Castilian" Spanish is beautiful, especially if a woman speaks it.

What I think about this manner:

Cuban,puerto-rican,dominican,colombian,venezuela,etc. (carribean) *speaks similar* because of African decent in the language, that is why they sound alike.

However,
Peruvian,bolivian,venezuela. Speak in a Indigenous, blended with some african form of speaking.

Argentinian,chilean,uraguay,paraguay, speak a Italianized spanish with
some "peasent" words: like "vos" which was RESPECTFUL to the person spoken to. Considered archaic in Castilian,

REMEMBER that in CLASSICAL LATIN; "vos" was formal. And "tu" was informal. Somewhat like modern Castilian. (formal) "usted" (informal) "tu"

Mexican Spanish; probably has the BEST features of "castilian" spanish in ways of pronunciation. It has the "sibilant" -s- sound {hiss-like-sound} in beginning and end of words, just like Castilian. Which "CASTILIAN" inherited it from "CLASSICAL LATIN"

The *double* 'rr' is twirled, like castilian. Aswell as "singular" -r- before; o or a. Just like Castilian. (which scholars think the "twirl" of "rr-r" was used in Classical Latin.)

Also, In terms of the [x] variable, the articulation in inland Mexico is usually [x], as in [kaxa] 'caja' (box) Like Castilian Spanish.

When it comes to "Syntax" everyone has a different way of using words.
Southern States likes "Jalisco and it's surroundings etc" are knowned to perserved "Castilian" forms of words, like "crios,cuan,postular,supongo,accede etc." which also this state (Jalisco) possess's archaic words like "truje,ansina,fierro,nenguno,mesmo,pos etc."

Although, mexican spanish doesn't have the "ceceo" Though,
educated mexicans usually "profess and used it."

Furthermore, the "h" of Castilian spanish, reflects arabic pronunciation.
Which in fact in some states of mexico it is perserved. As showned and
depicted.

And is a refuge for many "Spanish" people in MANY ways.

Although, like all languages; mexican spanish on the coast lines is influence by "carribean" spanish. And English from the north; and indigenous spanish from "yucatan,chipas etc." that is way Mexican spanish has various dialects. The -inner- sections of Mexican spanish is
considered to be the "generally" spoken. Which reflects on what I've depicted about it resembling Castilian, respectively.

Work cited; and my own words aswell.---->>>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Spanish

http://orbilat.com/Languages/Latin/Grammar/Latin-Pronunciation-Syllable-Accent.html

http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/spanish/frameset.html
Luis Zalot   Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:11 am GMT
I forgot to mentioned this.

The whole "ceceo" in Mexico. In Jalisco some people "have" it tone down a bit. This is primarily in "los altos de jalisco" where a lot of Spanish blood is at. Also in "guadalajara." (Capital of Jalisco) Aswell in other states, respectively.
Luis Zalot   Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:59 am GMT
Pronunciation of Classical Latin

http://www.thereeds.org/latin/pronunciation/alphabet/

Have fun, practicing.
Aldo   Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:00 am GMT
Luis, I agree.

I actually went to "Jalisco, Mexico" a couple of months ago. And I had the chance to hear the "dialect" from there, it is pleasant and I can noticed the "sibilant" -s- in place. I also, heard them use castilian slang and words, in the capital Guadalajara. Especially in "los altos de jalisco" also, the "ceceo" is used (just lessen or toned done) in those places, respectively. It's more widely used amongst the "older" folks. Though I've heard a lot of adolecents professing it; in the places mentioned.
Of course, the "rr-r" are twirl and used......I have to admit jalisco is very european-looking in some places and the "country" sides look very much like castilla la mancha. Guanajuato is awesome too. The people and everything. Mexico in general, so much history,culture,ethnic-groups,types of food,beaches,art etc.
Sergio   Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:41 pm GMT
I want to reinforce what Aldo said:

There are not such dialects in Spanish.
There are regionalisms, locutions, expresions typical from every country or even from every region... but to speak of dialects is to go too far concerning the Spanish language, and the only thing it generates is confussion among those who want to learn this language.
LAA   Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:45 pm GMT
Cubans talk incredibly fast! But any way you go should be fine, as they are all very similar, with a few distinct words, and different accents, and the absence of "vosotros", etc. But this difference is not much greater than that of America and England. There are only minor differences.

But as a question, is "Rosetta Stone" better than Pimsleur?
Sergio   Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:48 pm GMT
>Although, mexican spanish doesn't have the "ceceo" Though,
educated mexicans usually "profess and used it."

Luis, I completely disagree with you. "Ceceo" is considered in whole Mexico, including the educate people, as pretensious, even ridiculous. So nobody uses it, or want to use it.

This is valid for whole Latinamerica, as far as I have talked about with many other Latinamerica.

Now, my family comes from this "Altos de Jalisco", Mexico, and this "ceceo" is really vestigial, but not respecting the Castilian phonetic rule, i.e., they make this ceceo regardless of it reflects a "c", a "z" or an "s".
Johnathan Mark   Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
It seems that there is some confusion about terms. In my hispanic linguistics class this is what I learned:

pronunciation
seseo ceceo distincion
word
casar [kasar] [kaTar] [kasar]
cazar [kasar] [kaTar] [kaTar]
sensacion [sensasion] [TenTaTion] [sensaTion]

Seseo is prevalent in most of Latin America, and in inland and Western Andalucia. Ceceo is prevalent in Coastal Andalucia. The distinction is prevalent in the rest of Spain.

As always, there are exceptions.
Sergio   Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
That was an interesting contribution Johnathan.

Now each thing has a name, and we can talk about them without ambiguity.
Luis Zalot   Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
Sergio,

Have you ever been to "Los Altos de Jalisco" ? Anyhow, I'm conducting my research on first-hand results from the local residents of "Tepa, Jalos, Arandas, Acatic etc". The 'ceceo' is professed rather mildy and they possess the -sibilant- s and use some Castilian words like "Crio/Melocoton/Beber/Tazon etc"

Example:

el crio/ el nino
el melocoton/ el durazno
beber/ tomar
tazon/ plato ondo

*both -usages- are equally used.

Anyways, thanks for your input.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some "idioms" of Spain:

Botellon - To bring drinks to the local plaza, beach, any public place & set up your mini bar to people watch.

Clara - Half beer-Half Fanta (actually tastes delish)

Zumo- Juice.

Ganas - A craving, desire, need, liking, will or wish (*used in Mexico as well.)

Guay - Slang for 'Cool'. But even cooler if you say SuperGuay

Siesta - 2 to 5pm = NAPTIME everyday (*used in Mexico, at times)

Tia/Tio - Homegirl & Homeboy. A girl always knows who her tias are

Vale - "okay", "got it", "whatever", "all right" -- Most often used in a cluster of at least three (vale, vale, vale)
david rod   Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:29 am GMT
soy cubano y es verdad que no pronunciamos los s's o los r's. Aunque no creo que hablamos muy rapido, una gente me ha dicho que cuando hablo, corro de la boca. Hay mucha jerga que usamos que es diferente de la de los otro paises pero por la mayoria del tiempo gente me entienden entonce no importa cual manera de hablar, escoge
Lolly   Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:49 am GMT
In Southern Mexico (Chiapas) they use VOS and not TU.
Mexican coast and Venezuelan Spanish have [h] instead of [x]: caja ['kaha] (not *['kaxa])
Aleja   Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:57 pm GMT
Galicican Spanish and Cuban Spanish are very similar in pronunciation (which would make some sense as many immigrants to Cuba were from Galicia). If you learn another language you're going to pick up the accent of your teacher(s), no matter what, so I don't find it necessarily 'funny' that a non-native Spanish speaker would learn Spanish with a Cuban accent if that's who they were taught by. ¿Me entiendes?
ajelA   Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:53 pm GMT
¿Me entiendes?

Yes, you are an idiot.