Mandarin, English, Spanish and Hindi

Bhaskar   Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:12 am GMT
Since the Indians don't find any problem while speaking and reading english, and there are twenty three different official language with different script(believe it or not it is there) the only communicating language between educated persons is English here. Also holly was true that India was a colony of British in pre 1948. That's why the microsoft doesn't have any website in local language there.
Guest   Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:18 am GMT
In India just 2% percent of the entire population speak english fluently.

Many asian countries are wondering why India insists on using english instead of their respective vernacular languages.

Nepal and Bangladesh uses nepalese and bengali for official purposes. And that's admirable.
Indophile   Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:19 am GMT
India will surpass chinese population,so why they use english?
Observant   Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:59 am GMT
"India will surpass chinese population,so why they use english? "

I completely agree with you Indophile. India has one of the longest continous civilations and yet its elites insist on using English which is far younger than most Indian Vernacular Languages.

Why can't they just be like the Swiss which has 4 official languages German, French, Italian, and Romansh?

They can declare the vernacular languages as state languages as official language where they are spoken natively with Hindi as lingua franca or language to communicate between its people with different languages and English as International language.
CornHusker   Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:31 am GMT
>>Indophile Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:19 am GMT
>>India will surpass chinese population,so why they use english?

I thought india uses multiple languages, English is just ONE OF the official language instead of THE official language... no?? I had india classmates back in college and their english had heavy heavy accent, apparently english isn't their primary language when they were in india (correct me if i'm wrong).

>>observer Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:15 am GMT
>>That’s very true. Imagine what if the western world in a tactical
>>movement decided to withdraw out all their investments, and put it
>>somewhere else, like for example in India, China will just collapse, and
>>gets back to its…

that'd be a really dumb 'tactical movement' (or your wishful thinking). You think western investers didn't do enough research among the candidates before they threw tons of cash into a then-communist country not a english-friendly india?

I don't know if China will collapse... I work in the construction industry. Five years ago we were complaining mainland China bought all our construction steel so there's a shortage in the US (and the price went up). Today's number shows China is able to produce 97% of the steel they need, and already exporting to the US. Today's top quality architectural glass is made in China and Germany. This is unheard of 5 years ago. The growing speed of China is simply amazing. Japan was a miracle after WWII. China will only be a bigger one. (sorry to disappoint you).

>>Nostradamus Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:36 pm GMT
>>Any Chinese version never will be popular outside China, too ugly, too
>>complex, impossible writing. BTW, who were the ones who called it >>"the devil's language" ?

Sounds like nothing but bad excuse from a lazy loser... You won't hear that from a successful person...
Guest   Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:09 am GMT
hindi is not 重要, because most indian could speak english
Hindophile   Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:16 am GMT
Yes but HINDI is the mother language of indoeuropean and much easier
than chinese.

After 2008 in China they will also speak english fluently.
ZhongGuoRen   Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:12 am GMT
Romance Languages all derived from Vulgar Latin,
At present few people still speak Latin as their native language,
It is the same with Hindi, no matter how much importance Hindi once had.
In brief, people certainly have the right to learn Hindi, but not very helpful.
Guest   Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:02 pm GMT
and Arabic, Japanese, French, German, Portuguese?
Guest   Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:31 am GMT
The reason why Hindi doesn't become important, it's because of its speakers. They use English officialy and even in literary works.

Tha is why it will never become important even in Asia unless they change they change the way they handle it.
Guest   Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 am GMT
Actually Hindi can become importantant internationaly because of Bollywood and Hindi films now being watched outside India like Middle East, Africa, South-East Asia(especially Indonesia), Latin America and even in US and perhaps China.

But it's up to the people of India to decide.