using one word for different meanings

ImLucky   Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:38 am GMT
These days, lots of new terms are generated in English because most of new outcomes in technology are being generated in English speaking countries. Other countries usually import the new technologies along with the words.

All of sudden, I came to think that how funny it'd be if, in my country, the same word was shared for human memory and computer memory, which is exacly the case in America.

Isn't it confusing to use one word for several different things?
Let me give you an example.
In here, we have a word for human memory, which is in mother tongue of course, and have the word 'memory' for computer memory since we are not the first inventor of computer and imported the word. Some may see language dominance(partly right, I think) but that's somewhat convenient because I can tell this guy is talking about computer-related topic as soon as I catch the sound of 'memory'.

so, my question is..
How does it feel when you share single word for not only causal use but also professional, technological term?
Is it fun? handy? inconvenient? irritating? confusing?

How about in your contry?(for those who are not a native english speaker?)
What do you think about it?

I'm really interested. :-)
Uriel   Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:49 am GMT
<<so, my question is..
How does it feel when you share single word for not only causal use but also professional, technological term?
Is it fun? handy? inconvenient? irritating? confusing?>>

Yes, it can be confusing until the new term gains wide acceptance. Often context makes things easier -- if you're talking about a computer's "RAM" you can tell right away that you're not meant to visualize a woolly male quadruped.

Sometimes it can be cute or endearing, or allow you to anthropomorphize inanimate objects, as in using "mouse" (a small rodent) for the computer accessory.

It can also help you "connect" new concepts with ones you already understand, such as your example of "memory".
ImLucky   Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:32 pm GMT
I thought this question would be so interesting that a lot of discussion should follow.. but I was wrong. hehe :-P

Thanks for your comment Uriel !