American Literature vs British Literature

Tiffany   Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:12 pm GMT
You know you just confirmed everything Uriel said right? Of course you do ;)
Guest   Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:29 pm GMT
I find that a lot of English people are very emotional at times. It is a bit sickening really. If they lose a football match the crowd start weeping, then head towards the nearest police lines and start throwing stuff. Grow up! Don't get me started on the Americans. They really do take the biscuit.
Guest   Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:06 am GMT
You should've seen how emotional the Iraqis got when their national team lost at a game of football. Oh wait...come to think of it, everyone gets emotional over stuff, regardless of nationality.
Uriel   Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:12 am GMT
I didn't think Reese pulled anything out of the ordinary or over the top in her acceptance speech. It sounded like a normal level of excitement to me, given the context. It's not like she did a Sally Fields or anything! ;)
Guest   Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:33 pm GMT
"You should've seen how emotional the Iraqis got when their national team lost at a game of football."

They are more emotional when an American soldier shoots their children.
Mr.Pen0r   Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:45 pm GMT
哦哦? 我想你可以说你干什么? 好,又揣测,驴子孔流血,为什么就不向前走你他妈的? 你使我同你生病朝鲜赌. 再说,反正这个职位钵.

哦,并记录在案,我想你和你的韩国doesnt驴子是这里. 这是我最后一次检查是英文论坛,驴子洞. 等待:: 一 ' 米讲中文::
Stan   Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:14 pm GMT
hmmmmmmmm, now - that is one complex looking written language (Chinese I guess), It will be interesting to learn to write like that, how do they get all those characters or symbols to make sense...incredible.

<< ...Maybe it's just a California (or Hollywood) thing, I don't know, but I'm sorry....doing all the tears and hearts and flowers stuff and thanking granny and the English teacher back in primary school and everyone else from the mailman to the lady in the grocery store whose name can't be brought to mind right now is just a wee bit OTT........let alone insincere big time. >>

I really don't know why they like to do that, it sickens me. For me, one aspect of curiousity is that if indeed Americans like emotions, why weren't the producers of CRASH allowed to finish there acceptance speeches.
Alisom   Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:05 pm GMT
Trust me, you don't want to know what those strange codes mean. It's vandalism from some nutcase.
Mari   Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:52 pm GMT
Whoa! When I looked up this topic I wasnt aware of how OFF the topic the 'conversing' is going. (PS- I can't make out the language either Mr. Pen0r). I don't see how different countries can be more emotional over than another. It's stereotyping people according to their counrty.
I think that every person feels more emotional about one thing than another in particular instances. For example, yes, I do think that some Americans are too emotional over their football games but HEY, that's only a fraction of the entire American population!

Whoa! And to think that I wrote about "going off topic". Hmmmm. I've read British & American literature and I do think there are differences (see earlier pages) but both "types" of lit. have their pros. I like both.
Stan   Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:08 am GMT
<< Whoa! When I looked up this topic I wasnt aware of how OFF the topic the 'conversing' is going. >>

It happens everytime, I believe they call it "human nature," life tends to get very boring if you can't deviate from a particular line of thought. It is how people get entertained; thats why you often get involved in an arguement with the ice-cream man during ball games (maybe for stepping on your feet without saying "sorry").

I created this thread, and if you're interested in the original topic then this is it:

GIVE ME A LIST OF YOUR TOP TEN NOVELS (or books) OF THE 20TH CENTURY, also include the name and nationality of the author of each book. And as the header suggests, how would you compare British literature to American literature, which do you think is dominant and why?

OFF TOPIC
===================
I just saw Arsenal's football match against Real Madrid at north London, I won't forget the anxious and tensed looks on those Arsenal fans when Real Madrid had a free kick close to Arsenal's 18-yard box with a couple of minutes left in the game...so much for hiding emotions. But thank goodness Arsenal won on aggregate, I can imagine the tears that would have filled the pitch.
Mari   Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:43 am GMT
Sorry to break it to U STan but I am still totally knew to this forum (not to menton life) and I barely understand what you mean by human nature. Anyway,
JRR Tolkien RULES! ((British
Stephen King RULES! ((American

Another "OFF TOPIC"
>>>I couldn't help notice that while you were watching the described above football match you were paying more attention to other people's expressions. Interesting...

Like the look of Luke's face when he finds out Darth Vader is his poppa?
Bluey   Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:45 am GMT
(this is totally "off topic")

I, like Mari, believe in the force.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:07 am GMT
哦哦? 我想你可以说你干什么? 好,又揣测,驴子孔流血,为什么就不向前走你他妈的? 你使我同你生病朝鲜赌. 再说,反正这个职位钵.

哦,并记录在案,我想你和你的韩国doesnt驴子是这里. 这是我最后一次检查是英文论坛,驴子洞. 等待:: 一 ' 米讲中文::

I quite agree for the most part.

Would you believe that this is, apparently, getting to be one of the the most popular foreign Language for study in the United kingdom? Well, among the supposed minority of Brits making the effort to learn a foreign Language.

There was a discussion on BBC Radio Five Live the other day on the topic of foreign Language learning in Britain. Such discussions always invite, and receive, phone-ins, text messages or e-mails from listeners with their comments and opinions, not only from this country (UK) but from all over the world (apparently a lot of people tune into the BBC either on the direct radio link, as on the nearby Continent, or on the internet).

Anyway, this lovely bloke from the Netherlands called in and said, with spot on accuracy: "The British are too lazy and too stupid to bother to learn foreign Languages, unlike us in the Netherlands...we are excellent linguists". The program presenter said he fully agreed with him, then asked him what would the caller think the Language learning position would be in the Netherlads today if Dutch had the same status as English has today, on a worldwide basis. I think this was followed by a wee bit of umming and aaahing....and a, well, um....I'm not too sure.......click. :-)
Mari   Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:29 pm GMT
(Sorry Stan, time pressed when I wrote last letter)
About COMPARING British and American literature, I think that the dialogue is slightly different and the way the book progresses tends to be more lengthy w/ British writers. }}I'm not saying that all British writers write lengthly and I am not saying that all Americans write point blank -- I mostly think that the style pertains to the book alone and/or the particular author by him/herself.
Stan   Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:51 am GMT
How I wish we could discuss politics on this forum, I've had to join a political forum so I and some others could hash over issues that are "political."

<< I think that the dialogue is slightly different and the way the book progresses tends to be more lengthy w/ British writers. >>

Its a known fact that Americans tend to be more expeditious in their various techniques of story telling...so you have a point there.