Simon Cowell

Anonymous3417850   Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:56 am GMT
I'm trying to trace Simon Cowell's accent. Now I know that the accent he uses on American Idol may not necessarily be the same accent that he uses in England (he may be toning it down for an American audience or even toning it up for that matter - he does hold on to a broad "bath" pronunciation). Anyway, it sounds like either RP or a near-RP Estuary type of speech. It's obviously NOT Cockney, or a northern accent, or a west country accent. It's obviously not upper-RP either. I just wanted other opinions. Thank you.
Bore Damian   Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:49 am GMT
He's a male Anne Robinson, and he's a Londoner.....not the Cockney variety. Probably from Hampstead or Hendon....definitely not Hackney though. Without forcing myself to listen closely to him speaking I can't really comment on his accent, but what do I know.....I'm just a boring Scot. Obviously Cowell is British as well, so that makes him boring, too. Just imagine it...an island packed with 60 million bores.

Anyway, here's some info on Bore Cowell:

http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk/biography_story/1199:1357/1/Simon_Cowell.htm
Trawick   Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:22 pm GMT
He speaks what I would refer to as "high Estuary," meaning in the Estuary spectrum (which ranges from mockney to near-RP), he basically speaks a slightly looser version of RP, with a few Londonisms thrown in (for instance, his adding a k sound at the end of "-thing" suffixed words).
ignorant andre   Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:39 pm GMT
LOL, poor boring Damian. At least you're not an ignorant American. Meh...
Rick Johnson   Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:28 pm GMT
Not been on this site for ages........

In answer to the question, he has a South East accent- I think he's from Brighton.