Languages at school

Guest   Thu May 18, 2006 11:50 pm GMT
I’m in high school right now in the US, and you need 2 years of a foreign language to graduate(at least in the state of Pennsylvania). They offer spanish (which I’m in), french (taking that next year too) and german. The school my friends go to down the road also offers japanese and latin.
Benjamin   Fri May 19, 2006 2:12 am GMT
« in France, it is spanish or italian at 1st, english or greman at 2nd »

Alors pourquoi est-ce que mes amis français m'ont dit que l'anglais est de loin la langue la plus populaire d'apprendre en France ?
europeans   Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:31 pm GMT
I know that in france the most popular language is English, and in the schools which offer a 2nd Foreign Language, the most popular are German (in the East) and Spanish (in the West).

In the first post I didn't say that in Italy, in the "Liceo" (the most popular type of high school), we study Latin. We study it also in the Scientific school, and everybody think it's useless and it should be only in the Classical school. For example I think they should replace Latin with another Foreign Language or with some hour of Science Lab (in fact, we study Science only from the book, and most schools, especially in the South, haven't a Science Lab).
Bonnie Zhang   Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:02 pm GMT
In northern Taiwanese public schools, it's Mandarin Chinese from kindergarten, and English from middle school (= Grade 7 in the US). In southern Taiwanese public schools, I think there's a stronger emphasis on the local dialect, but I'm not sure and I'm not in agreement with this policy anyway.

In all international schools around Asia, English is taught from kindergarten onwards.

In Hong Kong public schools, English is taught from Primary 1 (Grade 1) onwards, but NO graduates of HK public schools can speak or write good English. I'm not kidding. After ten years of learning English, they're still at an American nine-year-old's level. Their English is so terrible, you can easily forget the fact that HK was once a British colony.
Oleg   Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:40 am GMT
In Russia foreign languages is usually started to learn since 11 y.o. But now a bill is being prepared according to which pupils will have to learn foreign languages since 9 y.o. In generall they study one language (English or German or French or Spanish, other languages are less spreaded), but in special schools thaey can learn more than one language (including Latin and Greek).