toms

abc   Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:58 am GMT
could stand for "tomorrow" sometimes
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:34 am GMT
Here's some British slang for you...it's used mainly in police circles, especially in London. A tom is a female prostitute.

Not slang - it's also a name for a male cat.

An abbreviation: a tomato. (pronounced: ['tom-a:tOu] or "tom-ah-toe")
Ben   Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:20 pm GMT
There's also a peeping-tom. - A person who gets sexual pleasure from secretly watching other people.

Ben.
Guest   Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:03 pm GMT
We Germans use the term 'tom' as an informal word for the British. I suspose you can say it's like 'yank' for American.
Guest   Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:09 pm GMT
"We Germans use the term 'tom' as an informal word for the British. I suspose you can say it's like 'yank' for American."

I heard about that. You call them tommies and refer to their shit tanks as 'Tommy cookers'
Guest   Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:46 pm GMT
"I heard about that. You call them tommies and refer to their shit tanks as 'Tommy cookers' "
Best thing you can do with a British soldier. Perhaps frying them with a few sliced onions would be nice.
Guest   Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:55 pm GMT
I hear there were a couple more British soldiers killed today. Ah well....
Adam   Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:57 pm GMT
"Tomoz" means tomorrow.

"I'll see you tomoz."
Damian   Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
Great Adam...and don't be l8.
Adam   Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
"We Germans use the term 'tom' as an informal word for the British. I suspose you can say it's like 'yank' for American. "

We call Germans "krauts". "Kraut" means "cabbage". Like cabbages, Germans are dull, boring and completely humourless.
Guest   Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:03 pm GMT
"We call Germans "krauts". "Kraut" means "cabbage". Like cabbages, Germans are dull, boring and completely humourless."

We refer to the British(mainly English) as "Brit bastards". Simple but effective.
Guest   Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:11 pm GMT
We refer to Americans as 'Yankolanders' which isn't meant to offend. Lately your president been a 'wankolander' instead. ;)
Travis   Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:07 am GMT
>>We call Germans "krauts". "Kraut" means "cabbage". Like cabbages, Germans are dull, boring and completely humourless.<<

At least here, the term "Kraut" is the kind of thing that is primarily only used by older people, as Germans are just called "Germans" by younger individuals here today. Actually, the only person I know who uses the term in real life is my dad, and even then it is somewhat in jest, considering that he is from a very German family himself.
Guest   Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:37 am GMT
Americans are sometime called 'Sammies' after that Uncle Sam dude what-you-call-it.