Spanish fast talkers...can you repeat that?

Mari   Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:14 pm GMT
I live near the border and am surrounded daily by fluent Spanish speakers. I speak near to nothing of the language however (amazingly) I can understand some of what my peers say to each other or to me.
Well, I've come to notice that many of my friends can speak Spanish so fast that I can't catch ANYTHING!! When my dad listens to a radio station from Baja California he too can't catch what some of the speakers are saying. How do I catch what they are saying when I barely grasp the language myself?
Juanito   Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:21 am GMT
Why don't you try learning the language. It must be really useful in your situation.
Uriel   Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:31 am GMT
Well, that's how it is when you're not fluent -- you just catch words here and there and can't keep up with conversational speeds. That's normal in any foreign language, not just Spanish.

If you live near the border, I know you get Univision and Telemundo. Try watching the news, where people often enunciate more clearly, and novelas, where the dialogue is often punctuated by lots of pauses. Once you get more proficient, you'll find it doesn't seem as fast.
Greg (Not the French one)   Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:11 am GMT
I speak abit of Spangish though and in most situations it has worked.

But this MUST BE NEVER STOP YOU LEARNING SPANISH. I was slapped but some hispanic and damn thats some serious corrective face surgery after the encounter.

Learn from my experience and you save thousands.

Love Greg aka (non French)
Greg (not the French one)   Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:14 am GMT
Would like to add an important point I my last point.

<Learn from my experience and you save thousands AND YOU MOJO.>

Love Greg (and NO I do not speak French)
Greg (not the French one)   Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:15 am GMT
For fu(k sakes

*YOUR not YOU

Love Greg (and YES my spelling sucks.)
Ed   Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:54 pm GMT
<<If you live near the border, I know you get Univision and Telemundo.>>

These are actually available anywhere in the US since they're US-based channels.
Mari (the original "   Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:42 pm GMT
I don't see how knowing that Greg was slapped by a Hispanic is supposed to help me with my problem but I like the rest of "your" ideas.
I'm learning more everyday and my aunts are helping me out.
Another input; Why do people talk so fast?!?!
Ferny   Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm GMT
I have the same question and was wondering why Mari didn't mention it earlier. I cannot speak Spanish like I hear from 'pro speakers'. I am fluent in Spanish but even I cannot catch all that is said. << Help me 2 ;)
Guest   Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:02 pm GMT
Slap the spic across the face and tell him or her to slow down or you will report them to immigration.
Ferny   Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:23 pm GMT
Even I can't slap everyone who "talks fast" to me and besides...
I'm still wanting an answer. HOW do people talk like that??!?!
Glori   Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:45 pm GMT
I would like to note that watching novelas is good at grasping what "spanish fast talkers" are saying as a whole however novelas are horrible instructors for those (like Mari) who might know near to nothing of the language. Rebelde (one of the current novelas) has a very interesting plot however is very fast paced.

If you do find watching novelas a fun way to understand Spanish a little more I won't stop you! ;) Live- la vida loca!
BNP   Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:24 pm GMT
"I'm still wanting an answer. HOW do people talk like that??!?!"

Correct me if I'm wrong but were these spics talking there language most of their lives. You tend to get used to a language after a lifetime.
Uriel   Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:23 am GMT
They DON'T talk fast. They speak at normal conversational speed. If you don't know enough Spanish to keep up with it as you are translating in your head, it sounds fast. But remember, that's also the same complaint Spanish-speakers have about English-speakers: "They talk too fast!" But you, as an English-speaker, don't perceive your speech as happening at warp speed.
Tiffany   Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:26 am GMT
Studies have found that no speakers of any certain language speak faster than any others. That is just your perception because as Uriel pointed out, if you do not know enough vocabulary and are translating in your head, it will sound fast.

Nice language BNP. Spics. The credibility that gives your post is amazing indeed.