pronunciation of "discussion", "percussion&qu

Alexander   Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:56 am GMT
I've been listening to the BBC webradio quite a lot in the last few days. And every now and then I'd hear somebody pronounce the [ʌ] sound in words like discussion, percussion or result like [ʊ]. So they would sound like [dɪˈskʊʃn], [pəˈkʊʃn] and [rɪˈzʊlt].

My question now is: What kind of British accent is that? Is it Estuary English?

I'd appreciate any help.

Cheers
Lazar   Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:19 am GMT
I think that would be a Northern English accent (not Estuary). In Northern England (Lancashire, Yorkshire, etc) it's common for /U/ to be used where other dialects use /V/.
Jim   Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:31 am GMT
Your transcription comes out as boxes for me. I suggest you use X-SAMPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA

Judging on Lazar's response, though, it seems that this may be the product of the FOOT-STRUT split.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose-foot-strut_merger_and_split#Foot-strut_split
Lazar   Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:38 am GMT
<<Your transcription comes out as boxes for me.>>

Actually they came out as boxes for me as well. I just copy-pasted them into MS Word and put them in a Unicode font. ;-)

But I agree that it's much easier if everyone uses X-SAMPA.
cabdulfatax@hotmail.com   Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:57 am GMT
hi
dear/madam /sir

how can get the best way in the english like british
Uriel   Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:50 am GMT
Take classes that use British English accents, grammar, and style.
Kirk   Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:24 am GMT
<<I've been listening to the BBC webradio quite a lot in the last few days. And every now and then I'd hear somebody pronounce the [ʌ] sound in words like discussion, percussion or result like [ʊ]. So they would sound like [dɪˈskʊʃn], [pəˈkʊʃn] and [rɪˈzʊlt].

My question now is: What kind of British accent is that? Is it Estuary English?>>

As the others mentioned, that's Northern English. I was watching a few clips of some of the Beatles' movies yesterday and they definitely had those northern pronunciations. I think I remember Ringo saying "rubbish" as ["r\UbIS].