Belgium bans roadsigns written in French.

Adam   Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:28 am GMT
Is there no end to the decline of the French language? This happened ion the same week that Morocco banned French spoken in its schools in favour of Arabic -

Britons on their way to the spectacular canals of Bruges will be forced to follow signs for "Brugge" in future because French city names are to be banned in favour of obscure Flemish versions.

Thirty-eight cities will be known exclusively by their Flemish names on road signs and in all official documentation when the Flemish regional parliament approves the law this month.

Some Flemish place names, such as Antwerpen, will remain easily recognisable but visitors arriving on the ferry this summer will have to ask for directions to Brugge (pronounced "bruchu", like the guttural sound in "loch"), rather than the place, famous for its lace and chocolates, formerly known as Bruges.

The route through Flanders to France will be sown with confusion. Those who thought they were heading to Mons will be baffled to find themselves on the road to Bergen; both names are derivatives of words for "mountain". Anyone driving to the Eurotunnel terminal at Lille, just across the French border, will need to know the city's Flemish name, Rijsel.

Courtrai will become Kortrijk, Malines will become Mechelen and Louvain will be known as Leuven under the new law, which is the latest salvo in a long-running linguistic battle between the two largest Belgian communities.

"This is Flemish land and we should only be using Flemish in these cities," said Johan Sauwens, the regional MP who put forward the idea.

"French speakers in these areas still think you have the right to use both languages, which is not true. Many of my colleagues in the Flemish parliament feel the same way as I do and I don't think we will have any problem getting the majority we need."

Mr Sauwens said he wanted the switch to take place before elections this autumn. "We will not be able to change all the signposts overnight, but that will happen. Whatever the name, tourists are still welcome."

While the law would create difficulties for English speakers, Mr Sauwens admitted that its real objective was to remove the rights of French-speakers in the bilingual communities surrounding Brussels, known as the "facility communes".

Although these communities are officially in Flanders, French speakers have the right to address local authorities, including the police and courts, in their mother tongue. Mr Sauwens said his law would end this special arrangement.

The language battle may seem trivial to outsiders, but it is taken very seriously in Belgium.

Years of protest and student riots over which language should be used in the lecture hall led to the splitting of Louvain University in 1968.

Many Flemish people are still smarting from injustices caused by the creation of Belgium in the early 19th century, when the French language was imposed on the whole country and Flemish - which is a variant of Dutch - was banished from schools.

Brussels, which lies roughly in the middle of the two communities, is officially a bilingual city, although most of its inhabitants speak French. Many believe that Belgium would split into two countries if it were not for lack of agreement on which should be allowed to keep the capital.

www.telegraph.co.uk . . .
Uriel   Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:51 am GMT
When I went to Brugge, that's what everyone there seemed to call it, not Bruges. Much as when I went to the capital city of England, the natives seemed to call it "London" and not "Londres".
Guest   Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:20 am GMT
If this article is true Adam. I would think the Flemish people have their right to promote the language in their region. I would think if the majority of Flemish speakers want it - let it be.
Candy   Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:28 am GMT
<<When I went to Brugge, that's what everyone there seemed to call it, not Bruges. Much as when I went to the capital city of England, the natives seemed to call it "London" and not "Londres".>>

My goodness, is there no end to the Francophobia in England these days?! :-)
Flemish   Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:36 am GMT
It has been all the time been like that, flemish use flemish in their respective area and walloons use french in their respectective area.
Guest   Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:53 am GMT
<My goodness, is there no end to the Francophobia in England these days?! :-) >

Correction: Adam not England.
Guest   Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:58 am GMT
<It has been all the time been like that, flemish use flemish in their respective area and walloons use french in their respectective area.>

Well it my be segregation of some form. But as long as each party doesn't impose their language on the other.

I found Belguim an interesting country especially other countries such as Switzerland is in the exact situation as Belguim except the different parties in their country get on well.

How the Belguims used Switzerland and others as an example to promote unity among all Belgiums?
Guest   Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:59 am GMT
*Have not How
Guest   Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:17 pm GMT
and *Belgians not Belgiums
greg   Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:19 pm GMT
Adam : tu as confondu le Maroc avec l'Algérie !!!...

Mais le processus officiel algérien est contrecarré par la résistance des familles (surtout en Kabylie) qui tiennent à l'enseignement ***EN*** français plus qu'à la prunelle de leurs yeux. PS : ce sont les mêmes qui se convertissent au christianisme > il y a une défiance généralisée à l'égard du pouvoir central.
viva la Adam   Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:25 pm GMT
I suppose Adam just wants the road signs in English since we all know that to be the most superior language.
C605AK   Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:59 pm GMT
Yes, there's nothing new here. As regrettable as I believe the Wallon/Flemish divide in Belgium is, it has nothing to do with any decline in French.
Damian in Dun Eidann   Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:07 pm GMT
From what I can see, the Language issue in Belgium will go on ad infinitum. Just another small country riven by a perpetual linguistic divide.

Off hand (and correct me if I'm wrong here) I believe that the Irish Government has decided to remove all the English versions of placenames on all road directions in Ireland. Without checking this one out, would that be true? A Brit looking for the road to Dublin would have to look for the Baile Atha Cliath signs....

Ok...for those heading west to the Emerald Isle:

Mullingar = Muillean Cearr
Killkenny = Cill Chainnigh
Cork = Corcdigh
Limerick = Luimneach
Tipperary = Tiobraid Arann
Waterford = Port Lairge
Galway = Gaillmh
Sligo = Sligeach

And if you get caught short over there, make sure you know which one to go into......Fir means the guys, and Mna means the girls.

Whatever... you'll always get: CEAD MILE FAILTE! (A hundred thousand welcomes)
Candy   Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:30 pm GMT
<<A Brit looking for the road to Dublin would have to look for the Baile Atha Cliath signs>>

Not sure what you mean by that sentence, Damian. All other tourists except the British will see signs for 'Dublin' but they'll be miraculously invisible to the British??
Damian in Dun Eidann   Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:46 pm GMT
No Candy....of course I didn't mean that. What I meant was that all signs to Dublin will read just Baile Atha Cliath. That will confuse all non-Irish, not just the British. If the Irish Government really have, or are going to, remove all the English versions of placenames on road signs, leaving just the Irish Language names, then that will cause confusion......not only for the British, but for all visitors to Ireland.

Personally I can't see that happening but I read a report of that move by the Irish Government. It may affect tourism in a country which relies very heavily on visitors from abroad, including the UK. I will have to try and check it out. The Irish have already replaced miles with kilometres. Those won't affect European visitors to Ireland, of course, but a Brit will have a wee bit of a problem when he sees a sign saying: 'Baile Atha Cliath: 25km' when 'Dublin 14miles' would suit her/him just fine!