names for both sexes

Alison   Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:08 am GMT
This maybe off topic, but I just read a man named 'Death': Peter Death Bredon Wimsey! In my culture, not in a million years would anyone use anything like this as their names!
Candy   Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:04 am GMT
Thommo   Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:10 am GMT
Death as a surname is not unknown, but most of those afflicted have long changed the spelling to what they claim was always the pronunciation anyway - Deeth.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:22 am GMT
That surname is usually written as D'Eath as far as I could discover.....and I think they pronounce it as "Dee-Ath" (two syllables) if they haven't already changed it by deed poll. I've never known anybody with that name and there are no D'Eaths, or Deaths, in our local telephone directory. It goes from Deaswood to Deauvail.
Alison   Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:33 pm GMT
Thanks again. You learn something new everyday.
Alison   Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:07 pm GMT
Eh, well, it's nagging in the back of my mind, I have to 'get it out of my system': the author of Peter Wimsey series was an academic in classics, and Peter Wimsey was a Lord, so maybe Death is a classic name? And I guess when English speakers use a name like that they don't think of the meaning of that word as a noun, like how many times does Bush remind you of bush? That's my rationalization of why people take these type of names.
Bluey   Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:26 pm GMT
Death??? A name?
Cool.
Adam   Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:06 pm GMT
I heard someone once say that Janice is both a male name and female name.

That's why Corrie's Janice looks like a man - because she is.
Ed   Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:46 am GMT
I've heard men called Meredith and that's just wrong...
Mari   Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:44 pm GMT
Why exactly?? A name is a name. The only reason some names are considered "wrong" is because of the sexual connotation that we have written in stone. ANY name can be used for a guy or a girl. -_- It's all in the brain.
Lenny, not Lennie   Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:23 am GMT
Certainly any name can be used for a guy or a girl, if one's purpose is sexual confusion. There is something to be said for common usage.

Does anyone know the word that means "a name for either sex"? I don't think "bisexual" is it.
Lenny, not Lennie   Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:42 am GMT
This reminds me very little of the English vs. American meaning slang word fanny, which refers to different body parts depending on which side of the big pond it's used. However, it is possible for either a man or a woman to sit on both at the same time. (My apology to visual thinkers).
Guest   Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:58 am GMT
<< Does anyone know the word that means "a name for either sex"? >>

Unisex.
Tosha   Thu May 31, 2007 2:28 am GMT
I am a expecting first time mom, and I am so excited, but so impatient. I have no idea what I am having and would like to pick out a baby name now. But, I seem to have no luck finding names for both sexes, you know that can go for either. So, if anyone has any idea's i'd really love to hear them. You can email me at brandons_girl19@yahoo.com. Thank you so much!
furrykef   Thu May 31, 2007 5:22 am GMT
<< Are 'Joe', 'Robin', 'Kimberly' all names for both men and women? >>

"Joe" is spelled "Jo" as a female name, but pronounced the same. "Robin" can be either. "Kimberly" is strictly a female name, but "Kim" can be used for either males or females (but it's probably more commonly used for females), and it is also be a Korean surname, for instance in the name of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il. (Koreans customarily give their surname first.)

- Kef