Which language should a new country choose?

suomalainen   Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:33 pm GMT
Bon jour y merci beaucoup, Gamal and Greg, pour votre support y concern pour ma langue! (Concern, c´est un mot correct francais?)
Ehkä suomi on kuitenkin liian vaikea ja erilainen kieli muille eurooppalaisille? (Perhaps Finnish is anyway too difficult and different language for other Europeans?) Besides Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian there are two Finno-Ugric languages that have some kind of official position in EU countries: Saami in Sweden and Finland, and Livonian in Latvia. In fact, there are six different Saami languages that are officially recognized in EU (Northern, Lule, Pite and Southern Saami in Sweden, Northern, Inari and Skolt Saami in Finland). The differences between Saami languages are about as big as between Romance languages (though the number of speakers is rather different). The position of Livonian in Latvia is rather formal, as there are only a handful of speakers.
greg   Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:12 pm GMT
suomalainen : bonjour et merci beaucoup pour votre soutien et votre intérêt pour ma langue !

*<concern> n'existe pas en français, mais <concerner> (verbe) oui. Le seul substantif qui me vienne à l'esprit est <konzern>.
suomalainen   Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:19 pm GMT
Merci, Greg!
'concern', qu´est-ce que c´est en francais?
greg   Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:03 pm GMT
À ma connaissance, *<concern> c'est rien du tout en français. Le plus proche substantif français qui ressemble à *<concern> est <konzern>, emprunté à l'allemand <Konzern>. Mais ni Fr <konzern> ni Al <Konzern> n'ont de rapport sémantique direct avec An (nom) <concern>.

En revanche, Fr (verbe) <concerner> & An (verbe) <concern> sont 2 faux-amis partiels.
a.p.a.m.   Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:40 pm GMT
I know what language Sorin/Octavian would nominate. It's the closest to Classical Latin. It's the most conservative. It sounds like Latin spoken by Slavs. But nobody, including me, wants it to be the language of Europe. I don't want to hear it. It's an ugly language. I believe that either English or French should be the most common language of Europe.
Johnathan Mark   Fri May 12, 2006 1:25 am GMT
To be fair to everyone, Germanic, Romantic, and Slav (and Finno-Uguric, Basque, and Celt for that matter) Tolkeinic Elvish should be made the official language of a new European state.
Johnathan Mark   Fri May 12, 2006 1:31 am GMT
Finno-Ugric, that is. Apologies
Ed   Fri May 12, 2006 10:59 am GMT
Why not make the official language of this new state Lojban?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojban
JR   Thu May 25, 2006 7:14 pm GMT
Perhaps we should let its citizens decide. It would do us no good to choose.... Lojban, if no one in the country uses it (or has heard about it)