Is Antimoon contradicting the English language, all heard?

Rudolph   Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:43 pm GMT
I think so. Instead of learning English, visitors discuss their points of view to make fun or criticize this beautiful language. They don't support English is the most necessary one around the world.

Perhaps you all will apologize for this manner you post nonsense discussions, just read by y'all. Who cares outside?

This forum looks a plot against the English culture and others in common as well.

I've also read nasty words to confront eachother. Obviously, nobody has face to show up. Who guess any visitor's e-mail address? Just a spy might.
Jim C, York   Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:48 am GMT
I think this website is great! im going to do a bit of studying to come up to speed with all the jargon they use.
It also helps those learning English, and the stupid discussions help i think, its good to see the language being used to its full extremeties. And giving students of English a chance to get involved, rather than only having small talk about the weather etc. in their classes.

As far as a plot against English culture, I dont think so. Ive had a drunken rant about Hollywood and England, but its only friendly banter.

I agree with you about the nasty comments left by some, and the insensative ones. With any forum you will get them. Its up to the rest of us to tell the idiots how ignorent they are, and where to shove off to.

In all i think its a very refreshing forum and a very intelegent one at that!
Rudolph   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:43 pm GMT
Antimoon is an interesting website with its own usage. This is why I visit it almost everyday. I don't criticize nor make fun of eachother but I could.

I can moderate my critics about my points of view, if I hurt someone's buttock.

I would like to play a game with you, friends. It's putting a description of pronunciation as the one I post in the first message.

I say 'ah-ee instead of 'uh-ee in "light" But how do you say it? Explain without symbols "@#%^*", better "ah eh ih oh uh"
Guest   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:53 pm GMT
Exactemundo.
Rudolph   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
What does Exactemundo mean, sir?
Herm   Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:41 am GMT
I was taught to pronounce the vowel/diphthong in "light" in exactly that way, ah-ee, in order to produce what my teachers considered the correct sound, instead of its sounding like loit, layt or laht.

You're doing well, Rudolph, apart from spelling "criticise" with a zed.
Kirk   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:30 am GMT
<<You're doing well, Rudolph, apart from spelling "criticise" with a zed.>>

Don't like the traditional British spelling with '-ize'?
Charlie Chaplin   Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:59 am GMT
I'm not using European English style. I'm living in America. What's the matter?

It's acceptable to spell -ize instead of -ise in many words.
Kirk   Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:22 am GMT
<<It's acceptable to spell -ize instead of -ise in many words.>>

In fact, "-ize" is the older, more traditional British spelling for words ultimately derived from the Greek suffix "-izo." British spelling permits both but "-ise" is more commonly seen these days. North Americans generally have continued to use the more traditional spelling with "-ize."
Herm   Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:12 am GMT
>Don't like the traditional British spelling with '-ize'?

Of course I don't, as it is archaic, but then I didn't learn English in a society which cut itself off, extremely violently, from the development of the language.

If you really embrace tradition, get rid of the multiple prepositions, stop using past participles as past tenses, and stop pronouncing "cot" as "caught".

Among other abominations.
Abominable Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:37 am GMT
Actually, I think it's that we pronounce "caught" as "cot". ;p

And we didn't cut ourselves off from "the development of the language", we kept on going ... alone.
Guest   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:43 pm GMT
Herm...Hermit -- that explains it!
ESL LEARNER   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:41 pm GMT
In this antimoon forum, the ones with the most reply were usually of less important matters - trivial stuff like - what accent do you love? why texan speak that way? queen's english is bla bla bla

BUT

the least response and help given to were the ones from actual esl learners asking important questions re english language

therefore this forum is RACIST
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:47 pm GMT
Um, people learning English do not constitute a race unto themselves. Perhaps you should "learn" the meanings of words before trying to use them, ESL LEARNER.
ESL LEARNER   Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:00 pm GMT
<<therefore this forum is RACIST >>

What I REALLY meant was the replies were more in favour of the trivial stuff than the more serious questions posed by esl learners.

just take a look at the differences in their no. of replies.

Sadly for esl learners this forum isn't what it seems!!