Being British

Guest   Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:55 pm GMT
>>Umm, guys, Texas is the SECOND-LARGEST state in the US. The real honors go to Alaska.<<
Oh great .... *warily looking around for herds of armed, pissed-off Texans...or the Dallas Cowboys, same diff*

I kid because I love, Texans ... ;)
Travis   Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:32 am GMT
>>Umm, guys, Texas is the SECOND-LARGEST state in the US. The real honors go to Alaska.

Alaska -- 1,593,444 sq km

Texas -- 695,248 sq km

Yes, that is one and a half MILLION square kilometers. Alaska is over twice the size of Texas!<<

People will ignore facts like that when it suits them, one must remember.
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm GMT
Forgot about Alaska, Yorkshire is Englands Alaska! I can live with that.
Well we've had our regiments merged into The Yorkshire regiment, its about to happen to our Police so hopefully the Yorkshire Ridings will be back with us, other than that we don't have much say in what happens to our turf anymore.

http://www.yorkshire-ridings.org.uk/
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:01 pm GMT
I reckon we overlooked Alaska because we couldn't see it....Canada was in the way. I've never heard of boastful, swaggering, stentorian, stetsonned, arrogant Alaskans, I must admit.

I agree about Yorkshire being England's Alaska......ever been up Ilkley Moor in January? For a lad from Edinburgh to murn about winter cold it has to be bad.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:12 pm GMT
JIM in EBORACUM: Hasn't York Minster got the most amazing rose window on the west side? It wasn't until I went to York that I knew Guy Fawkes came from there. So does the great Judi Dench. Talking of actors:

Do you know of this Acting Group in York? Here are some voices from your City. I found people in York easier to understand than a lot of the people in Leeds, which is much more of a cosmopolitan city than York is anyway.

The link (sound system on):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/group/york-york.shtml
Jim C, Eofforwic   Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:52 pm GMT
Yeah it's got a big round window, never really spent enough time looking at it to see what it was to my shame. I was mates with Judy Dench's nephew in school, actualy ive know the Dench family for a longwhile, well part of it at any rate. I couldn't listen to the voices because I don't have real player, and i refuse to download it because it slows my connection. I have heard of that company, being an ex-thesbian my self. I'm mates with the son of a director of a good local theatre company called the RidingLights. Were you on Ilkley Moor baht'at? (with out a hat) thee will catch your death of cold if you do that! haha.
Uriel   Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:12 pm GMT
<<I've never heard of boastful, swaggering, stentorian, stetsonned, arrogant Alaskans, I must admit. >>

From what I could see while I was there, they had a serious predilection for Harleys ... so I still wouldn't mess with them!
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:46 am GMT
I'd really like to go to Alaska.....all that rugged wilderness.....it would remind me of the Cairngorms in a January blizzard. Does it have herds of red deer? Bears more like, I would think. Didn't the Americans buy Alaska off the Russians at a knockdown bargain price? Like $1.50 plus sales tax or something? ;-)

Nah, Jim....we didnae catch our death of cold on Ilkley Moor. I heard about that song when we were in this pub in Burley in Wharfedale. Loads of students from Leeds go walking over the moors especially at weekends....all that lovely open countryside not too far from the city. The beauty of the whole place is that over every hill and down dale there is always a nice warm, welcoming wee pub with gorgeous nosh and a great pint....and a dartboard. ;-)
Adam   Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:48 pm GMT
"Forgot about Alaska, Yorkshire is Englands Alaska! I can live with that"

Yeah. Empty, freezing cold and not very good nightlife.
Jim C, Jorvik   Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:33 pm GMT
There's more variety in Yorkshire than you can shake a stick at. I'de much rather have a day in Scarbrough than Blackpool. Giant plastic tits hanging for sale on the prom, and tacky shite everywhere, NO THANKYOU!
lu   Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:22 pm GMT
"Giant plastic tits hanging for sale on the prom"

That reminds of a scene in Blackadder II, a bunch of guys are wearing plastic breasts when attending a wine drinking contest.
Is that a kind of tradition??
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:29 pm GMT
***That reminds of a scene in Blackadder II, a bunch of guys are wearing plastic breasts when attending a wine drinking contest.
Is that a kind of tradition?? ***

I've never been to Blackpool (or to Scraborough for that matter)...just seen direction signs to it on the M6.... but according to Jim it probably is....apparently it's a place where anything goes. Instead of wine, it would be mostly ale though. Oh...and the wigs to go with the plassy boobs.
Damian   Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:33 pm GMT
Scraborough = Scarborough. dyslexic keyboard

I forgot...Adam is waving his red rose again.......lay off the Yorkie bashing! It's a really cool place! Why don't you cross the Pennines one day and see for yourself.
Jim C, Eofforwic   Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:00 pm GMT
"Scraborough = Scarborough. dyslexic keyboard "

At least you attempted to spell it right! And I was there yesterday! I probably got confused because I say it "scarbreh" (the E sort of halfway to an U)

Can you imagine the Simon&Garfunkle song done in a Yorkshire accent?! the timing would be completly off.

"Ahh yuh gohwen T' Scarbreh faih, parsleh, sahge, rosemrih un tahm"