AMERICAN *TOOLS*

OPEN   Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:53 am GMT
<You cant use the key pad? How strange. My accent wouldn't work either I'm affraid. >

First question that came to my head. I looked through the manual and the only way into the Voice Command settings is by me saying 'tools'.

If anyone has a Sanyo SCP 9000 and has this problem too?

Please comeon!! Could someone from the US save a recording of them saying 'tools'??? Please!
Uriel   Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:29 pm GMT
I would never say "tyu" or "chu" for two.
Travis   Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:37 pm GMT
One note is that [t_j_hu] (not [t_ju], as there would actually be aspiration here) is not "tyu", which would probably be [t_hju]; rather, it is [t] (or actually [t_h] here) with a palatal coarticulation. As for "chu", which would be [tS_hu] (not [tSu] due to aspiration), the matter is that a lot of people do use an affricated realization of /t/ in such positions, it seems, but with a release much less marked than that of the usual [tS] or [tS_h] that "ch" generally signifies.
OPEN   Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:25 am GMT
Since noone wanted to post a recording here..... I called a random US number and asked the caller to say the word *tools* and what do you know it? - it worked!

Ok I would like to thank the caller 'Kylie' from 'Ohio' (don't know where the hell is the place is) but once again thanks.
Uriel   Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:00 am GMT
Glad you got that sorted out, then.