How old is the word Anglo-Saxon?

Sunya   Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:07 pm GMT
How old is the word Anglo-Saxon? It looks really trendy and new with the X and the -o-. Just like other modern words like X-ray, cool, galaxy and hitchhiking.
greg   Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:16 pm GMT
C'est un emprunt au latin <Anglo-Saxones>.
Jim C, York   Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:31 am GMT
I learn something new here everyday!
Sunya   Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:38 am GMT
"Greg is essentially right. 'Angle' and 'Saxon' are both related to place names in Germany 'Angeln' and 'Sachsen' where the two Germanic tribes previously lived but the term "Anglo-Saxon" itself dates from the 16th century and is Neo-Latin influenced. Latin and a variant, Neo-Latin were the languages of scholarship at that time."

is the word so old? I thought it was a newly made word which was made 30 years ago.
Css   Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:38 pm GMT
I don't think it is that old. I guess it is 30-40 years old because I guess people didn't know about them before that time.
Fredrik from Norway   Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:00 pm GMT
Wikipedia writes:
"The term "Anglo-Saxon" is from Latin writings going back to the time of King Alfred the Great [in the 9th century], who seems to have frequently used the title rex Anglorum Saxonum or rex Angul-Saxonum."
John C.   Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:56 pm GMT
Anglo-Saxon is a really new word. We didn't use it when I went to school in the 60's.
Robin   Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:56 pm GMT
I did not wish to enter into a discussion with the unpleasant Scottish person who (in another topic) was saying that English people are taking over Scotland, as it basically an unpleasant racist remark that just breeds hatred. Hatred is something that Scottish people have in spades. At 'Old Firm' matches, the Rangers supporters taunt the Celtic supports, and visa versa. The Rangers supporters are called 'Huns', the implication being that they are related to the Germanic tribes that sweep across Europe, and that in recent years, we have spend two World Wars fighting.