Well....

Pete   Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:30 am GMT
<<AE speakers have no trouble understanding the accent of almost all BE speakers. There are some differences in word choice, but native speakers can usually understand the point of what is being said.>>

<<I'm American, so I can only reply that Americans understand the British just find. I went to an International high school with kids from all over the world - including British ones. No problem at all.>>

Well, guys if that, said above is true, then could you make this clear to me?
You know, I am a non-native speaker. However, I speak English with a sort of an English accent. Perhaps it's not entirely English, but most people says it's quite clear. Maybe some of you have heard some of my recordings already. The point is: If you Americans say that you understand most British accents just well, then Why in the world when I make my speeches for tourists, explaining stuff about a place, some Americans stare at me, grimacing at me in a terrible way as if they were hearing a ghost speaking? Is there a specific reason for that? or is it that they just think my speeches are boring?

<<No, In the U.S.A. we have this device in our televisions that automatically converts a British accent into an American accent, so that even though the people speaking have British accents we hear them an American accent because of this magical device we have in our televisions. >>

LOL. That was a good one. I can't think of watching Harry Potter films filled up with American accents. I just think it would be sodding strange to hear Hermione saying "Herry" and trading her posh Oxford accent for a New Yorker accent.

Pete
andre in usa   Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:24 am GMT
Pete:

Actually, Hermione would still say "Harry" the British way if she had a New York accent because New Yorkers don't have the Mary/merry/marry merger.

Maybe the American tourists look at you strangely because they're not expecting a peruvian (you are peruvian, right?) to speak with a British accent. Or maybe you just have an unusual way of speaking. What kind of tours do you give?
Pete   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:39 am GMT
I am, Yes. Well, Now I've come back to Peru. And I work as a guide doing boat trips to some Islands in the South of Peru, where there is a great deal of animals, birds, sea lions and stuff. Actually, I'm in charge of things which have to do with biology, a bit of geology and some history as well.

That place is called the "Ballestas" Islands in Paracas, a national park which is 3 hours south of Lima, the capital city. Perhaps if you decide to come to Peru and visit the Islands this year, you might find me there.
Pete   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:41 am GMT
<<actually, Hermione would still say "Harry" the British way if she had a New York accent because New Yorkers don't have the Mary/merry/marry merger.>>

Oh, OK. I'm sorry I made a mistake. As I said before, I don't have much knowledge about American English accents.
Mxsmanic   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:56 am GMT
The tourists may have been looking at you strangely because you have a foreign accent and they are having difficulty understanding you. Non-native speakers without any trace of a foreign accent are relatively rare, although not as rare as some people like to contend.
Pete   Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:40 pm GMT
<<The tourists may have been looking at you strangely because you have a foreign accent and they are having difficulty understanding you.>>

That's a very good point. But if it were true I wouldn't be asking why they can't understand what I say, it would be obvious. It would be like saying 'why do we have day and night', and someone else saying 'the earth rotates, remember?'.

I don't think I have a foreign accent that would make me difficult to understand. And to be honest, I don't really think I have a noticeable trace of a foreigner accent. Go and have a look at other posts made by me or other people and check my recordings. It sounds quite clear and understandable.

<<Non-native speakers without any trace of a foreign accent are relatively rare, although not as rare as some people like to contend.>>

I agree with you.
Pete   Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:34 pm GMT
Check this recording out, mate. Is there any strong feature in my accent that would make it difficult to understand???

http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=H7RZKGO3

Pete