is Anglo-Saxon spoken today?

Jim C, Eofforwic   Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:38 pm GMT
My mate goes to the pub where the cast go in Leeds, and a few cast members visit Easingwold sometimes, I don't watch it, can't stand soaps!

" 'Look at that man over there with the dog and the sexy girl going down to the river.' "

Ah, so thats what it means! I got a few of the words at least ;)
Guest   Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:51 pm GMT
gladji =man?
dukal = dog?
mort = girl?
gaan = very slurred way of saying "going"?
Jim C, Eofforwic   Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:21 pm GMT
"gaan = very slurred way of saying "going"? "

Gander means to walk, or go somewhere here in Yorkshire, could be a version of that. It also means to check some thing out.... so...

"Fancy a gander over yonder, to have a gander at the santa?" lol ;)
Uriel   Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:22 am GMT
Ah, don't you wish the English would just speak English?
;P
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:03 am GMT
Aye JIM....gie us a butchers at that one.... Being Scottish I don't find it hard to understand most of the Northern English dialects...they're cool. The "yonder" you use is not quite the same as our "yon" as in "by yon bonnie braes". Yonder just means "over there" but our yon is a Scots determinder for "that" mostly, or "those", as in "pass me yon book,please".
While I was in Newcastle (Geordieland) for a uni interview I went "gannin" doun into toun of a night. When I first checked into the reception centre at the Halls the guy and the lady there both had the broadest Geordie accents it would be possible to have, I reckon, but even though it was my first time ever in Newcastle (been through it by train a few times) I had no probs at all and they with me....they were really nice and friendly and helpful. We have loads of Geordies come up to Edinburgh anyway so familiarity breeds comprehension.
Damian   Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:05 am GMT
determinder = determiner !
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:29 pm GMT
Byker Grove was a secret initiative to improve relatations between Geordie land and the rest of the country, before no one could understand anything they said, no we all can....Ant and Dec should get a Nobel prize for their good work ;)

My Grandad uses Yon, so I use it aswell. I think they call it an Idiolect, where you use words and parts of your Family's accent if they come from elsewhere.
Adam   Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:15 pm GMT
Just like in Coronation Street nobody speaks with a Manchester accent.
Guest   Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
According to this website about the North East of England, the only part of England where the original Anglo-Saxon language has survived to any great extent is the North East........

THE OLDEST LIVING ENGLISH

The Angles and Saxons brought with them to Britain a language which was the forerunner of modern English and indeed it was the Angles of Denmark that gave England its name - meaning the Angle land. Over the centuries the old Anglo Saxon language changed beyond recognition with the gradual introduction of Latin, Norman-French and other foreign influences.

Today the only part of England where the original Anglo-Saxon language has survived to any great extent is of course the North East. Here the old language survives in a number of varieties, the most notable of which are Northumbrian and Geordie. It is from the ancient Germanic and Scandinavian language of the Angles that the unique local dialects of Northumberland, Durham and Tyneside, all primarily owe their origins.

GEORDIE WORDS, ANGLE ORIGINS

Distinctively Geordie and Northumbrian words are more than 80 % Angle in origin, compared to standard English, where the figure is less than 30 %. Modern English words by comaprison are predominantly of Latin origin because modern English derives from the dialects of southern England which were continuosly influenced by the Latin and Norman French favoured by the educated classes of Oxford, Cambridge and London.

Geordie words should not therefore be seen as sloppy pronounciation or a poor use of language, as they are in fact of great antiquity. Indeed many old words and phrases commonly used in the old works of Chaucer and Shakespeare which are no longer used in other parts of Britain have survived as common usage in the North East.

Of course some Geordie words are of more recent origin or are corruptions or words borrowed from other regions, but often the similarities between Anglo-Saxon and Geordie can be quite surprising. For example Geordies in the same way as the Anglo-Saxons use the word `WIFE' as term for a woman whether she is married or not, while the Anglo-Saxon word ALD (OLD) is similar to the Geordie (AAD). Thus in Anglo-Saxon ALD WIFE literally meant `Old Woman' .

Sometimes a Geordie may appear to be using words incorrectly , but this may not always be the case. For example a Geordie may say Aaal Larn yer (meaning I'll teach you) as in the Anglo Saxon Laeran which meant teach. Other Geordie words of Anglo Saxon origin include Axe (ask) from the Anglo-Saxon Acsian, Burn meaning stream, Hoppings meaning fayre andGan which is the Geordie and Anglo saxon word meaning to go.

The unique way in which Geordies and Northumbrians pronounce certain words is also often Anglo-Saxon in origin. Thus Geordie words like Dede, Coo, Cloot, Hoos, Wrang, Strang and Lang are in fact the original Anglo-Saxon pronounciations for Dead, Cow, Clout, House, Wrong, Strong and Long.

These old words have survived in the North East for a number of reasons primarily associated with the region's historical remoteness and isolation from southern England. The turbulent border history of this region was also a major factor in discouraging outside influence although some Viking words have crept into the local dialect from the neighbouring Viking settled areas of Yorkshire, South Durham and Cumbria.

http://www.thenortheast.fsnet.co.uk/GeordieOrigins.htm
Adam   Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:19 pm GMT
That was me who posted that article.
Hermione   Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:29 am GMT
>Deke's is Look<

Must be where we get "Have a dekko at this".

Glad to hear Melvyn Bragg can speak Cumbrian; his English was atrocious in the TV version of the book.
greg   Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:48 am GMT
Adam : « That was me who posted that article. »

Précision superflue. Le copier-coller paresseux est ta marque de fabrique.
Adam   Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:40 am GMT
"Glad to hear Melvyn Bragg can speak Cumbrian"

No he can't. Only about 10 words of the Cumbrian language are known.

Unless you're talking about the dialect they speak there rather than the Cumbric language that used to be spoken there.
Benjamin   Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:36 pm GMT
The Cumbric language (related to Welsh) was not limited to Cumbria.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:59 pm GMT
<"Glad to hear Melvyn Bragg can speak Cumbrian"

No he can't. Only about 10 words of the Cumbrian language are known. >

After that example further up, I'm sure it could be mistaken for a language of it own.