origin of "o'clock" , "let's"

TomJim Jack   Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:54 am GMT
>>"This is not true/
You can hear WANNA, GOTTA, GONNA used by CBC (Canadian state tv) newscasters. "

They are Americanisma that have spread to other English-speaking countries.<<

It was Mark Twain who was the first who used WANNA, GONNA, HAIN'T etc in his Huckleberry Finn to show the true-to-life speech. That is why these words are considered to be invented by the Americans.
Cobalt (CC~58)   Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:37 pm GMT
I just found this, and I love it.

MAYbe Americans have a way of shortening everything in the English language, because of the melting pot of foreigners who come here, and make America their home.

These foreigner/newcomers are interesting to me... because they bring original 'ways' of speaking with them.

I remember as a child, meeting a little Japanese girl, and she couldn't pronounce her 'r' s... She would substitute the 'r' with a 't'... and so my sister Theresa's name became "Tita"... We call her that to this day.

Thus and so all people have their own ways of saying and doing things...
Cobalt (CC~58)   Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:45 pm GMT
AND... I use 'gonna', 'wanna', etc... when apt.

Why not, I am as American as you can get... being a Native American Indian... and as being born and raised here... anything goes.

We (human beings), even make UP words, when apt. It's fun, people understand, and what's better than that, to just have fun...???

I know of people who sign in who can't spell... and it used to be a major thing with me, especially when you see a BIG SIGN that is not spelled correctly? But not anymore, at least... online.

What I DO dislike is when someone (especially those who obviously are from another country... kudos to them for speaking 2 languages), comes online, can't spell... and someone points it out to them... on the World Wide Web. For crying out loud... it's not that big a deal, and we KNOW what they're saying... so READ what they are trying to convey, and let it go.

Unless they ask, of course.

:D