chief minister?

Lazarakis   Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:23 am GMT
I know that Prime Minister is of the highest political position of a country. But what is a chief minister? The head of a city?
rathnadurai   Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:02 am GMT
CM acts as head of the city
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:56 am GMT
Normally the "head" (chief citizen) of a city is a Mayor. Here in Scotland such an official is called a Provost. The Lord Mayor of London is equal to the Lord Provost of Edinburgh (who, incidentally, is a bonnie wee lassie this year!)
lu   Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:08 am GMT
Not in a dictatorship like China, the "head" of the country or city is always the General Secretary of CCP.
Geoff_One   Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:30 pm GMT
Data:
Chief Minister - The head of government in the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory happen to be called this.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:32 pm GMT
Chief Minister is the head of a minor department in government, larger Ministerys have their own titles. Didn't they get rid of the Lord Mayor of London when they got their own Assembly? In fact I was nearly run over by the Lord Mayor of York, He just drove straight trough St. Helens square in his limo, straight into his complex thingy, gave me a shock, I had hop out of the way. My step Grandad was Mayor of Stourbridge near Dudley back in the 60's, another example of Scots controling the English ;) haha.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:31 pm GMT
LU: So the head honcho has total control then? Let's hope he gets well paid for all that reponsibility!

JIM: I checked it out....London is one complicated city! There is the Lord Mayor of the Corporation of the City of London...that's the City of London proper, with a daytime population of over 1.5 million and at night just 30,000 official residents and it's own separate Police Force...City of London Police. The Lord Mayor of London has a brilliant name...David Brewer! ;-) He is appointed by the Corporation and Aldermen of the City of London. He has precedence over:

The Mayor of London......that's Ken Livingstone, the guy who keeps newts as pets and who introduced the Congestion Charge to London. The electorate of Edinburgh voted against a similar charge here in spite of chronic traffic probs. The Mayor of London is voted in by the electorate of Greater London.

Then all the 32 Boroughs of Greater London have individual Mayors, all of them elected by the people of each Borough.

The Metropolitan Police Force covers all of London except for the City of London.

Confused? You will be.....

Your step Grandadonly following a noble Scottish tradition.....keeping you Sassenachs in check! LOL Did you know that 60% of the population of Corby, Northamptonshire is Scottish? Not far from there is the site of Fotheringhay Castle where our blessed Marie, Queen of Scots was executed by your English Queen Elizabeth I on 08 Feb 1587. Any connection? Havnae clue....shouldnae think so.... More likely due to Tescos selling some really good haggises...
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:36 pm GMT
Well she was trying to get Queen Liz assasinated... Strange how cousins feel the need to kill each other eh? Normaly only at weddings though?

Yeh can't move for Scottish landlords as well, bloody anoying when you have to name Scottish rivers on pub quizes!

London is bloody complicated, god knows why any one would want to live there. Thats the thing, London voted yes to have its own rule, yet as soon as NorthEast refuses an assembly, the rest of us arn't allowed to vote, 'tint fair! And there are no websites demanding a vote on it, if any one spots one let me know!