A guess

Roger   Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:08 pm GMT
Can you think of a word in English whose plural is derived from the addition of the letter "c" to the singular form? In other words, think of a word in singular.
Roger   Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:09 pm GMT
Sorry, the whole question will be this:

Can you think of a word in English whose plural is derived from the addition of the letter "c" to the singular form? In other words, think of a word in singular. Then add the letter "c" to it, and the word becomes its plural.
Rick Johnson   Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:05 pm GMT
I can't think of any. The only unusual endings I can think of is the "en" endings such as children and oxen or an "i" ending on the plural of latin words e.g. catus- cacti
Travis   Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:56 am GMT
Actually, when the term "box" is used to refer to a computer, it is very often pluralized as "boxen", by analogy with "oxen". But this is a special case, and I doubt people who aren't very familiar with computing, and also much of the non-technical jargon language associated with such, would use such.
Lazar   Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:09 am GMT
<<Actually, when the term "box" is used to refer to a computer, it is very often pluralized as "boxen", by analogy with "oxen". But this is a special case, and I doubt people who aren't very familiar with computing, and also much of the non-technical jargon language associated with such, would use such.>>

No, I had never heard of that.

I know that "shoe" has an archaic plural form "shoen".

And "sock" has an obsolete, irregularly spelled plural form "sox", which is retained in the names of the Red Sox and White Sox.
SpaceFlight   Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:32 am GMT
<<I know that "shoe" has an archaic plural form "shoen".>>

Also ''eyen'' and ''kine'' are archaic plurals for ''eye'' and ''cow''.
Roger   Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:48 am GMT
I don't know the answer. I have just copied it from the following message:

---------------------
I now have a word quiz for you all. I have probably tested it on a thousand people. But nobody has ever solved it. So why don't you try: can you think of a word in English whose plural is derived from the addition of the letter "c" to the singular form? In other words, think of a word in singular. Then add the letter "c" to it, and the word becomes its plural. Your correct solution to be e-mailed to dwctang@yahoo.com. Apple readers, impress me!
Lazar   Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:39 am GMT
Die < dice.

Easy as pie. ;-)
Roger   Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:01 am GMT
I guess you're right.
Gjones2   Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:41 am GMT
>Die < dice [Lazar]

Doggone you, Lazar! I'd been reading the thread, all along thinking of adding a 'c' onto the end, when suddenly -- while reading the post right before yours-- it occurred to me to put the 'c' in the middle. I thought of mouse-mice and was right on the verge of getting the answer when I saw your post. Too late, though. :-) Congratulations.
Gjones2   Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:44 am GMT
>Easy as pie. ;-)

You deserve a pie as a reward (maybe even several pice :-).

[I know that 'pice' are something different.]
Lazar   Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:51 am GMT
<<I'd been reading the thread, all along thinking of adding a 'c' onto the end, when suddenly -- while reading the post right before yours-- it occurred to me to put the 'c' in the middle. I thought of mouse-mice and was right on the verge of getting the answer when I saw your post.>>

Yeah, I went through the same thought process. :-)