Bine ati venit pe la noi…

Latinate   Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:19 pm GMT
Thanks Calliope thats the point I wanted to make.

I supose I can understand Ion's point of view when you have statments like

"a.p.a.m.:There is nothing Roman about Romania."

"Clay:The anti-christ will come/derive from ROMANIA; according to "Hal Lindsey" & some scholars."

a.p.a.m I am surpised at you, your Mexican unless this is an imposter, then think before you write.
SpookyET   Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:40 pm GMT
Some say that Romanian sounds more Sicilian. It totally depends on from where the speaker is. If he is from north east or Moldova, it sounds very Slavic. I can't understand a word they say. From the centre of the country, it sounds like Italian/Sicilian.
Ion   Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:02 pm GMT
Sorry, Latinate, I might have had a bad day today...I should have read your comments more carefully...I apologise!

Calliope, Ion, sometimes IOAN, is a very common name in Romania and it has a correspondent in almost all European Languages:

In Greek : Yanis (and not ION)
In German : Johan;
In English : John
In French : Jean
In Spanish: Juan
In Portuguese: Juan
In Polish/Check/Serb-Croat, Bulgarian: Jan/Ivan
In Italian: Giovanni
In Russian: Ivan
In Flemish : Jan end so on

It comes from of Saint John the Baptist..as a Christian name. My mother wanted to make sure that I have a Christian name which can be celebrated! (In Romanian-Greek-orthodox church -maybe in Russian/Serbian as well, on January the 7th, we celebrate Saint John's day!)
Latinate   Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:20 am GMT
Don´t worry about it

Just a correction in Portuguese it´s João not Juan.
Calliope   Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:47 am GMT
Oh here goes... so "Ion" in Romanian is "Ioannis" in Greek (that's the full form of Yanis), makes perfect sense... we did have some Ions though, especially in the past, but that could have been a Romanian influence (cutting down Ioannis to Ion because they liked the sound). Interesting how it does indeed mean flower in Greek, but the name is most likely irrelevant to that (even in Greek, I mean). Of course it kind of makes more sense like this, I just hadn't made the connection. (I am Greek, Ion, so it all fell into place now. Orthodox names are the norm in Greece too).
Calliope   Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:02 am GMT
Okay, upon further reading, looks like the Greek "Ion" is irrelevant to the Rumanian "Ion", as it doesn't come from "Ioannis" (the Greek version of John), but it is a name of its own, used in Greece from the ancient times.

Irrelevant and sorry for the derailement, but since I gave wrong info, I thought I should correct... so the Greek Ion and the Rumanian Ion are irrelevant and simply a coinsidence. Bleh, I suck.
SpookyET   Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:06 am GMT
One thing that lacks in Romania is Roman theme parks. The country has the name of the ancient Roman Empire. Romania could have a lot of tourists.
Ion   Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:59 pm GMT
Kallimera, Calliope; Ti kanis? Thello na millisso .... (Sorry for the spelling), about Ionnis... (First of all: Nice to meet you!) Parakalo para polli for the support and understanding you given/showed to me when I kind have deviated from the normal behavior.

Coming back to Ionnis, I was always curios to find out where the name of Ioannina came from? It has something to do with Ionnis? Each time when I heard the name of this place, I felt a strange attraction for it...what I never could explain...

Latinate,

Thank you for the correction, you're right...I remember having hesitation putting Juan in Portuguese and although I knew names like Joao Pinto, in the moment of posting, it just didn’t come in my mind.

Best personal regards both of you!
Ion
a.p.a.m.   Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:10 pm GMT
"a.p.a.m. I am surprised at you, your Mexican unless this is an imposter, then think before you write." Latinate, I am not Mexican.
a.p.a.m.   Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:14 pm GMT
"a.p.a.m. Unless you know any better, I suggest you keep to yourself." Oh really? What the hell does that mean? Are you threatening me?
Ion   Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:05 pm GMT
SpookyET,

The communist era, (by the way, the term communist is inappropriate, is abused when is used in association with these horrified Stalinist dictatorship), didn't allow Romania to follow a normal, objective evolution. These 45 years does not only interrupted Romania’s logical development, but it put it down, demolishing every existing value. The moral values have been turned upside-down.

The main Romanian problem yet is to restore the old and real moral values and that will take time.
Latinate   Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:52 pm GMT
"a.p.a.m.
I am surprised at you, your Mexican unless this is an imposter, then think before you write." Latinate, I am not Mexican."

You have been on this forum some time and for some or other reason I thought you were Mexican, sorry.

This dosen´t change the fact that what you said about "There is nothing Roman about Romania" is not true. I realy don´t know what you expect a country to to be like to be cassified as Latin based.

Something for you read

http://www.friesian.com/decdenc1.htm
SpookyET   Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:04 pm GMT
Ion, I know it's not communism. Communism is democratic in nature. The people choose what to produce and how to disperse it, not the dictator and his henchman through a political party. That said, it still looks good on paper and shit when implemented. It does not work.
Ion   Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm GMT
SpookyET

Yes, communism is a utopia...no nation on the earth is ready to move on at a such level...and it will never be...

Calliope,

Errata: Efharisto para polly it was in my intention to say to you, and not Parakallo polly as I wrongly did in few postings above. I'm sorry!
SpookyET   Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:42 pm GMT
It has nothing to do with nations. It has to do with humanity. Star Trek: Next Generations is a good example.