A Question to all: [...]

Aldo_b   Sat May 06, 2006 5:46 pm GMT
Ok! the hunting started !

Yes you are right I'm that Aldo. I sign Aldo_b because there are other or others Aldos around who sign that way as well.

<<so why would you denigrate English grammar...>>

Do you really think that the phrases "but the best part of English" and "That's what I love of it." denigrate English? I can't understand why people feel offended when one says that this or that language is easy or simple gramatically. Simply that's my perception even if somebody doesn't like it.

<<...and deny that English' main source of 'power' is the fact that the 2 main superpowers of the 20th century were English speaking? >>

That's just points of view, yours and mine no more no less and which obviously are not the same and which I don't want to talk about one more time.
Jav   Sat May 06, 2006 6:29 pm GMT
>>Ok! the hunting started ! <<

I'm not trying to start a fight aldo, there is no need to make silly remarks.

>>That's just points of view, yours and mine no more no less and which obviously are not the same and which I don't want to talk about one more time.<<

Excuse me aldo, but denying that the present English dominance as the no1 world language has nothing to do with the influence of English speaking countries but rest solely in its simplicity ... that's just plain stupid.

If that were true, that the easiest language becomes the no1, then why isn't it esperanto? As opposed to English, it was designed to be simple and easy, with a lot of Romance and Greek loans and it has no country to represent it.It would be the ideal candidate to prove your theory ...being false that is. ;-)
Jav   Sat May 06, 2006 6:30 pm GMT
Oh, and thank you very much Candy for your reply!
Guest   Sat May 06, 2006 8:24 pm GMT
<<Brennus, Candy and Travis, do you think this Sander hated Romance languages?

Not at all. He just got very irritated with people who posted the kind of things you mentioned in your post above. Unfortunately, he could be a liitle 'combative', to put it mildly. He and the trolls seemed to wind each other up a lot. But Sander's a lot saner than he often appeared on Antimoon :) >>

Are we talking about the same Sander who once said "I like the Germanic languages more then the romance (latin) languages.
Mainly because I myself speak a germanic language.I like languages where I can relate to.Im sorry for all the romance-speakers ,but your languages sound a bit gay/femine to me." ?
Guest   Sat May 06, 2006 8:37 pm GMT
Saying you like something better than something else doesn't mean (by far) you hate it.
Fredrik from Norway   Sun May 07, 2006 2:43 am GMT
But Sander also said that German sounds gay!

For him, only Dutch is hard and masculine enough!
Aldo_b   Sun May 07, 2006 3:27 am GMT
Jav, as I said I won't talk about that theme again. It for sure will lead us to a political discussion and this is not allowed here. Anyway I got tired to fight the intense devotion of nationalists.

As to Sander I remember he was a nice member in the beginning but as somebody said he got very irritated with offensive or silly replies. He didn't use to ignore them until he exploded and became a very temperamental guy, particularly against romance languages topics even without provocation.
Geoff_One   Sun May 07, 2006 3:34 am GMT
>>You didn't know Sander. ... Although his name occurs in many of the 'fights' I saw in the archives, ... <<

Sander - He may be gone, but his fame lives on.
Guest   Sun May 07, 2006 6:31 am GMT
I miss him.
Jav   Sun May 07, 2006 8:56 am GMT
>>For him, only Dutch is hard and masculine enough! <<

Hehehe, well I'm Dutch myself, and I too think German, or at least the standard form of it sounds very "gay". High, stacato etc.
Kuni   Sun May 07, 2006 10:53 am GMT
Almost every German speaks a dialect, and not the standard form of German! The coolest German dialects are Saarländisch and Schwäbisch :)
Guest   Sun May 07, 2006 10:56 am GMT
an ACCENT is not the saam as a DIALECT
Kuni   Sun May 07, 2006 11:19 am GMT
Sure, it's not the same!
But I was talking about dialects (not accents) which do not only describe features of grammar and vocabulary but also aspects of pronounciation!
Guest   Sun May 07, 2006 12:02 pm GMT
due to industralisation and nation building nearly every german speaks high german with an accent rather than a dialect.
Kuni   Sun May 07, 2006 1:41 pm GMT
>> due to industralisation and nation building nearly every german speaks high german with an accent rather than a dialect. <<

But not if there are Germans with similar dialects. Hessisch, Saarlaendisch, Pfaelzisch are almost the same. Schwaebish also has some similar aspects; but it's true that a southern German may have trouble understanding a German who speaks a Low German dialect, so they would switch to high german.
The "pure" High German is only common in some areas (like Hannover), in the media and at universities and schools.