"yes" in French

Vladimir.   Sat May 13, 2006 4:54 pm GMT
Thijs Kuik
**** Geoff_One is partially correct in that "si is an emphatic yes".

I think that Geoff_One is completely incorrect in that “si” is an emphatic yes. Only if you want to stay polite with him.
Thijs Kuik
****Here's an example to illustrate the usage of "si":
"So Bobby's not fit for patrol duties anymore, is he?"
You could either reply with:
"OUI, that's true, he's not fit anymore."
or
"SI! Of course he's still fit! I see him on the beat everyday!"
In essence, "si" is a "positive negation", if ever there was such a thing.

I think that “in essence” this is a correct example. Just a bit complicated. In fact there has never been such a thing as a “positive negation”. The formal definition (and the true sense) of “si” in French is a negation of negation. For example, this can be a negation of negative question.
Tu ne m’aimes pas ? Si. (You don’t like me, do you ? It is not true that I don’t like you = I like you ).

It’s one of the rare cases when French is very laconic in comparison with English.

Another remark. In my opinion French “si” is a “very strong fault friend” in regard to Italian “si” = “yes” I mean it is a case when a native Italian learns French or a native French learns Italian.
JGreco   Sat May 13, 2006 7:30 pm GMT
I thought "si" is more common in southern France and "oui" in the Parisian area and Northern France. The reason I say this is because I watch a lot of French films and I noticed that the films in the North mainly say "oui" while the films based on characters who live in the south tend to say "si". Though this is mere speculations. Is this true greg?
Guest   Sun May 14, 2006 1:53 pm GMT
" I thought "si" is more common in southern France and "oui" in the Parisian area and Northern France. The reason I say this is because I watch a lot of French films and I noticed that the films in the North mainly say "oui" while the films based on characters who live in the south tend to say "si". Though this is mere speculations. Is this true greg? "

NON, c'est completement faux ! "Si" et "oui" sont utilisés autant dans le Français du nord que dans le Français du sud (puisqu'il s'agit de la m^me langue, en occitan c'est peut-être autre chose) et dans les mêmes cas.

Les deux se traduisent en Anglais par "Yes" et en Italien/Espagnol par "Si"
La différence entre les deux est que "oui" sert a confirmer une affirmation, tandis que "si" sert à contredire une affirmation négative.

Les deux ne sont absolument pas interchangeables.
A la question: " Tu viens ? ", on ne peut répondre que "oui" ou "non"
A la question: "Tu ne viens pas ?" On ne peut répondre que "si" ou "non"
greg   Sun May 14, 2006 10:35 pm GMT
Et à l'ordre « Tu ne viens pas ! », on peut rétorquer : « Si ! » pour signifier à la fois son désaccord et son intention de passer outre.
Dans ce cas : Fr <si> = Al <doch>.

Le Nord et le Sud utilisent <si> de la même manière.
Geoff_One   Mon May 15, 2006 7:06 am GMT
<< completely incorrect >>

What is the difference between "completely incorrect" and "incorrect"?
Geoff_One   Mon May 15, 2006 8:30 am GMT
<< I think that Geoff_One is completely incorrect in that “si” is an emphatic yes. >>

How can one state that “si” is an emphatic yes and that I am completely incorrect in indicating “si” is an emphatic yes?

Presumbably the sentence should read:

I think Geoff_One is incorrect, in stating that “si” is an emphatic yes.
greg   Mon May 15, 2006 8:20 pm GMT
Des mots comme <si> et <oui> peuvent être considérés comme des adverbes d'acquiescement, des particules affirmatives ou même des substituts de phrase.

<oui> : réponse affirmative à une question affirmative (acquiescement), renforcement d'une affirmation, renforcement d'une question.

<si> : réponse contredisant une question négative (opposition).
Guest   Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:00 pm GMT
oui is yes.
si is yes in response to a negative question.
greg   Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:08 am GMT
JGreco : « I thought "si" is more common in southern France and "oui" in the Parisian area and Northern France. The reason I say this is because I watch a lot of French films and I noticed that the films in the North mainly say "oui" while the films based on characters who live in the south tend to say "si". Though this is mere speculations. Is this true greg? »

Non. À mon avis les emplois de <si> sont identiques de Lille à Marseille et de Bordeaux à Genève. Il existe peut-être des emplois spécifiques dont j'ignore l'existence mais, même si tel était le cas, le schéma général demeure inchangé.
Steve   Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:45 am GMT
Sometimes you can just say: I surrender! Lol...joking!