Sheffield, nice accent?

Ae   Wed May 10, 2006 5:21 pm GMT
Is the accent of sheffield a nice one for imitating?
How well would I live in Sheffield with a salary of $26,000 pounds?
thks
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed May 10, 2006 6:09 pm GMT
Jim in York would be better at replying to Ae's query, but here's my effort. Sheffield...in South Yorkshire....is a large city...very hilly....with a great transportation system....it's the home of the Arctic Monkeys! Sean Bean also comes from Sheffield, and he has insisted that he uses his Sheffield accent in whatever TV or film role he plays.....he is mega proud of his Sheffield links and accent.

The $ sign obviously refers to £ .......26k would get you a hell of a lot further than it would if you lived in London, that's for sure. It's a lot cheaper "up north" (which is where Sheffield is in English terms...to us here in Scotland it's the deep south LOL). According to the latest EU stats the average annual income for males in the UK is £30,618 (US$56270) but in Sheffield it is less than that by some margin, but prices are lower than in more affluent areas.

This is the only link I could find on the Sheffield accent....it sounds pretty authentic Sheffield to me, even though the guys are Afro Caribbean but Sheffield born and bred apparently....so aye, it's pretty much gen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/group/sheffield-wicker.shtml
Jim C, York   Wed May 10, 2006 6:23 pm GMT
Sheffield is the most wooded city in the UK, lots of beutifull places to walk, there are some very old snowdrop clusters in their woods. I think the south Yorkshire/ Sheffield accent was voted as sounding the most loyal and reliable at some point. There is a bit of North/South rivalry in Yorkshire aswell (James Martin and Darren Gough on Strictly Come Dancing) but Yorkshire is Yorkshire and its the greatest! ;)

It is cheap round here, you'll get on VERY well on a sallery like that..
Adam   Wed May 10, 2006 6:30 pm GMT
If you listen to the Arctic Monkeys, you'll get an idea.
Adam   Wed May 10, 2006 6:31 pm GMT
And it's good to see UK bands singing songs in their own accent, rather than trying to sing in an American accent.
Jim C, York   Wed May 10, 2006 6:46 pm GMT
My old neighbour knows the bloke on the front of their album, he's been drinking and stuff with them before they got big. To be honest they're over rated, "new Beatles" my arse. The songs are ok, they arn't a new style, its just run of the mill post-punk. More songs should be in local accents, though they do tend to sound like folk songs, The Manchester Passion was like that, but I like folk so I enjoyed every second.
Ae   Thu May 11, 2006 3:24 am GMT
Oh thanks, I was wondering about the quality of life with a salary like that. It would be my starting salary. And I have a small family (1 kid).

I have a friend from Sheffield and one from Birmingham, the first one, speaks with gaps or stops between sentences and the former, sometimes I can't understand what he is saying, just as if he wouldn't spell clearly the vowels... well, I am not a native speaker, and that is the way I hear them. I would choose the Sheffield accent over the Birmingham.
Best regards.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu May 11, 2006 7:11 am GMT
***I would choose the Sheffield accent over the Birmingham***

You wouldn't be alone there......but at least Brummie can be good for a laugh...it has that effect on people, and which is why some comedians deliberately adopt a Brummie accent for added effect. I don't know why your mate does the stops and gaps bit...maybe it's a Sheffield/Yorkshire thing....like gearing up the thought processes for something funny..or canny....to say next. Never mess with a Yorkie...you'll never get away with it.

Stick to Sheffield....Sean Bean will be proud of you. It's is a very nice city....great shopping centres and night life.....I did that twice when I was at uni in Leeds....not too far away from Sheffield.

Good luck.
Pärssøns In Sheffield   Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:18 pm GMT
I just moved from Canada. I would like to learn the accent.

Aye! I hear "jennel" refers to an alley.
Danny Poceiro @ Miami   Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:22 pm GMT
¡OYE, NIÑO! LOS CUBANOS TIENE LA LENGUA MÁS FUERTA. LOS INGLESES SON DE MIERDA.... DANNY IN DA HAUS! CALLING OUT TO SEXY ERIKA JUVIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Calliope   Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:23 pm GMT
"I don't know why your mate does the stops and gaps bit...maybe it's a Sheffield/Yorkshire thing...."

It's glottal stops every other syllable... and yes.
Cass n Jess   Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:07 pm GMT
We are from Sheffield, it's the most amazing city ever and we both love living here. Sheffield has many different accents, depending on what part of the city you are from/living. They are all great though!

Cass N Jess
Guest   Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:00 pm GMT
you need boats to get around in Sheffield now
Kess   Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:07 pm GMT
Designer boots will do ;)
Willie Maykit   Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:50 pm GMT
Does Sean Bean have a Sheffield accent?