Verbing

Johnathan Mark   Sat May 20, 2006 12:36 pm GMT
Many have taken noticed of a trend in America that is referred to as verbing--the use of a noun as a verb in informal speech. Examples:

Beer me=Give me a beer.
Shall we caf it?=Should we eat in the caf.

What I want to know is, do you have any examples of verbing, in English or in any other language?
Aldvs   Sat May 20, 2006 11:11 pm GMT
I think that maybe any language could do that with nouns that only are nouns. In English I see that's pretty common that a noun is a verb, or vice versa, I don't know.

In Spanish I recall "cafetear" which means "tomar cafe" (to drink coffee) this one is already included in the Real Academia EspaƱola de la Lengua although I know must exist more.
JR   Thu May 25, 2006 2:00 am GMT
Verbing is very common in "Spanglish"

In the United States, many Hispanophones recieve English education from grades 1-12, but no Spanish education, so whatever they know they mostly know from their parents. This causes a huge inbalance in the vocabulary in the two langauges, in which many times, a word may be borrowed from English and have Spanish pre- or su- -fixes attatched to it.

The most commonly used ones are

To park (as in, to park a car)
Parquear (or Parkear)

To push
Pushar

But I have heard these too:

to print
Printear

to Shut up
Sharapear

The only one that I know of that is actually a word is
to scan
which was 'Spanish-ized' to
Escanear
Luis Zalot   Thu May 25, 2006 2:38 am GMT
JR, I'd agree with you. "Spanglish" causes an unilateral imbalance of English & Spanish vocabulary merged or forced into one. Thus, creating
an Philippino type language, respectively. Pretty soon MANY hispano-phones will either give up on Spanish OR they'll just be ignorant to Spanish & English vocabulary and sadly only KNOW "Spanglish"; hence a Philippino type language.

"Spanglish" is a horrible way to interpret English and Spanish, respectively.
Guest   Sun May 28, 2006 5:26 pm GMT
they'll never give it up... it is simply too easy to talk that way... English words are being transformed in different languages because there no equivalent words in meaning... how would you say "to scan" or "to park" in Spanish?
Luis Zalot   Sun May 28, 2006 5:43 pm GMT
Guest wrote;

>>>>they'll never give it up... it is simply too easy to talk that way... English words are being transformed in different languages because there no equivalent words in meaning... how would you say "to scan" or "to park" in Spanish? <<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote;

Perhaps, your right. Maybe the masses will speak in "Spanglish" form and the rich/classy/exceptional-people etc will speak in a MORE correct or fluent form. Who knows? But, the future will tell.

About your question;

to scan "escanear" (Used as computer technical words)

to park "estacionar"