Most Germanic English accent

G_DANS   Tue May 23, 2006 11:10 pm GMT
Random thought but is there such a thing?
Guest   Tue May 23, 2006 11:41 pm GMT
Most Germanic-sounding English accents?

South African and Scottish.
Benjamin   Tue May 23, 2006 11:42 pm GMT
As in, is there a native English accent for which the pronunciation is the closest to Standard German? Or do you mean, is there a dialect of English which tends to use the most words of Germanic (rather than Latin) origin?
Sho   Wed May 24, 2006 5:35 am GMT
Brennus,
But in Standard German /r/ is often pronounced as /6/, so isn't it sort of similar to non-rhoticy in RP?

Also does Norman French have any similar phominan that's similar to RP's non-rhoticy?
Travis   Wed May 24, 2006 6:33 am GMT
I have to agree that most actual German pronunciation today would be called "non-rhotic" from an English-language standpoint, despite there being some important differences between such and non-rhotic-ness in English dialects at the phonological level. Most German today is not actually pronounced with the stereotypical rolled Rs or like either, despite traditional German stage pronunciation, one must also remember.

That said, as for most "Germanic" English dialects, I would have to probably choose Scottish English dialects and North American English dialects under non-English Germanic substratum influence, such as those of the far Upper Midwest (aka "Up North"). Even still, these all differ from most modern German pronunciation in that they are markedly rhotic, but then German is but one of many Germanic languages other than English.
Travis   Wed May 24, 2006 7:02 am GMT
>>However, from what I've read, the uvular r is found only in some German dialects just as it is found only in some Swedish dialects (mainly southern Sweden) according to what one Swedish linguist told me.<<

Yes, some German dialects today still retain the alveolar R or rolled Rs, even though standard Hochdeutsch pronunciation now uses a uvular R, as do many German dialects today.
D6244OS   Wed May 24, 2006 7:15 am GMT
Since English is a Germanic language, it stands to reason that the accents of all native speakers are equally "Germanic."

However, if you wish to pick an accent that is "most Germanic" on an entirely subjective "sounds-most-like-German" basis, that would have to be South African English for me.
greg   Wed May 24, 2006 9:08 am GMT
Sho : « Also does Norman French have any similar phominan that's similar to RP's non-rhoticy? »

Es gibt kein normannisches Französisch außer wenn du auf die französische Sprache, die ausdrücklich in Normandie gesprochen ist, Bezug nimmst. Was ist allerdings « Frankonormannisch » (oder vielleicht « Normannopikardisch ») üblicherweise genannt ist eine interregionale Form von Altfranzösisch, dessen Wandlung in den britischen Inseln als « Anglonormannisch » oder « Anglofranzösisch » allbekannt (auch unpassenderweise) ist. « Ultramanikannisches Altfranzösisch » ist ein neutralerer Ausdruck, um den Sinn vom Altfranzösisch, dem auf der anderen Seite des Ärmelkanals benutzt worden, zu vermitteln.
Kirk   Wed May 24, 2006 9:24 am GMT
<<Hello. If you are referring to uvular 'r' (sometimes written as an upside-down 'R') in German, my understanding is that it is a late development which began in Paris in the 17th century and then spread to Brittany (Bretagne), Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark and Sweden. However, from what I've read, the uvular r is found only in some German dialects just as it is found only in some Swedish dialects (mainly southern Sweden) according to what one Swedish linguist told me.>>

Yes it's true not all German dialects use uvular 'r' but regardless of which 'r' is the default one many/most German dialects are nonrhotic in the sense that RP is in that phonemic /R/ following a vowel is vocalized. Thus German "trinken" is ["tRINkN=] while "Tier" is [t_hi6]. Unlike RP, German remains nonrhotic even when word-final /R/ is followed by a word starting with a vowel. Compare RP and German:

"Das Bier ist bitter und teuer" [das bi6 ?Ist "bIt_h6 ?Unt_h "t_hOI6]
"The beer is bitter and dear" [D@ bI@ r\I:z "bIt_h@ r\{nd dI@]
Kirk   Wed May 24, 2006 9:31 am GMT
<<Es gibt kein normannisches Französisch außer wenn du auf die französische Sprache, die ausdrücklich in Normandie gesprochen ist, Bezug nimmst. Was ist allerdings « Frankonormannisch » (oder vielleicht « Normannopikardisch ») üblicherweise genannt ist eine interregionale Form von Altfranzösisch, dessen Wandlung in den britischen Inseln als « Anglonormannisch » oder « Anglofranzösisch » allbekannt (auch unpassenderweise) ist. « Ultramanikannisches Altfranzösisch » ist ein neutralerer Ausdruck, um den Sinn vom Altfranzösisch, dem auf der anderen Seite des Ärmelkanals benutzt worden, zu vermitteln>>

Yeah that's right but I'm not sure if Sho was referring to old Ultramanican French spoken on the British Isles or modern French spoken in Normandie.
greg   Wed May 24, 2006 5:20 pm GMT
Wirklich ? Doch kann ich den Zusammenhang zwischen der großbritanischen Rhotizität und dem Phonetismus der modernen französischen Sprache in Normandie nicht begreifen !
Rick Johnson   Wed May 24, 2006 7:25 pm GMT
The black country accent (areas around Birmingham) is apparently derived from Dutch/ Flemish settlers.

There are communities in Cumbria who have a dialect so close to Norse that parts of it are understood by Scandinavians. Also I've heard stories of fishermen on the North East coast having a dialect which is again mutually intelligible to Scandinavians.

If you're talking more specifically about German tho', I have to say I'm not sure!