Reason for the dearth of reflexive constructions in English?

Ambrose   Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:44 pm GMT
I've noticed that many languages have them in abundance, but not English. In fact, when such constructions are translated into English, they often appear bizarre.

The following examples should illustrate my point: the first element is a sentence written in a language featuring reflexive constructions, the second is the "literal" English translation, and the third is the "correct" English translation.

Português fala-se aqui. --> [Portuguese speaks itself here.] --> (Portuguese is spoken here.)

Die Bücher verkaufen sich. --> [The books sell themselves.] --> (The books are being sold.)

Now, in both "literal" translations, it may appear that the pronoun in the sentence can be interpreted as either a reflexive pronoun or as an intensive/emphatic pronoun. In truth, it can only be the former, since "se" and "sich" are reflexive pronouns in Portuguese and German, respectively - the intensive/emphatic pronouns are "mesmo" and "selbst".

That settled, neither sentence appears to make much sense literally. Perhaps it has something to do with the English language's rigid word order, whereby "the dog bites the man" and "the man bites the dog" mean different things. Or is it something else?

In any case, both of the sentences above used the reflexive as a substitute for the passive. What I want to know is why that isn't done in English. Take the last sentence, for example: "What I want to know is why that doesn't do itself in English."

Linguists, it's time to clarify.
Sander   Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:07 pm GMT
The reason the translations don't make much sense litterally is because languages have different linguistic typology.English for an instance is an SVO language (subject-verb-object) like all the Romance languages.However German is a mostly SOV language.

The Portuguese sentence is a bit of a mystery for me,it could be of course a proverb.
Mxsmanic   Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:32 pm GMT
Odd … I've never given any thought to this. English uses a passive construction; other languages use reflexive constructions. It's as simple as that. "English is spoken here" sounds very natural to me; and so does "ces livres se vendent bien" or "on parle anglais ici."

Comparison of languages is interesting to a point, but it can also be an obstacle to learning. There isn't any language that does things "wrong" or "right," and there isn't any best way for a language to be structured.

I'm not sure why you say that sentences "don't make much sense literally." Nobody takes them literally. They sound perfectly natural to native speakers. A passive voice sounds fine to me in English, but very bizarre in French. I don't translate sentences looking for things that sound wrong; you don't become fluent that way.
JJM   Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:14 am GMT
Mxsmanic:

Yep.