New words growing in popularity

Rick Johnson   Sat May 27, 2006 4:40 pm GMT
There have been a few words that I've noticed written regularly that I didn't even know 10 years ago. Take, for example, the word "internship", when I first saw the word in an American publication, about 8 years ago, I thought it was some sort of prison boat. I have seen the word several times recently in British job ads, although when people tell me they are an intern I still tend to think they are being kept against their will.

Also I've heard younger British people using Aussie slang like this arvo (this afternoon) and bludger (sponger)

Anyone else noticed any modern, obscure or foreign words becoming popular?
Lazar   Sat May 27, 2006 5:14 pm GMT
<<I have seen the word several times recently in British job ads, although when people tell me they are an intern I still tend to think they are being kept against their will.>>

My dialect includes the words "to intern" and "internment", used in the sense of confinement or imprisonment, as you would understand them; but the noun "intern", as well as "internship", I have always understood to refer to a student or graduate working somewhere to gain experience. The word "intern" was used a lot over here during 1998, because Monica Lewinsky was invariably described by the press as "a White House intern".

<<Also I've heard younger British people using Aussie slang like this arvo (this afternoon) and bludger (sponger)>>

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know what a bludger or a sponger is. :-(
Guest   Sat May 27, 2006 5:47 pm GMT
<<I'm ashamed to say that I don't know what a bludger or a sponger is. :-(>>

A scrounger!?

-someone who lives at others' expense