It's still English for Quebec immigrants.

Adam   Sat May 27, 2006 5:16 pm GMT
Immigrants to Quebec don't want to learn the silly French language.
--------------

MONTREAL—The phenomenon has perplexed demographers for decades, and now the Quebec government is sending people into the field to finally solve the riddle of why more immigrants aren't learning French.

For the first time, the Conseil supérieur de la langue française (CSLF) is making the rounds of the province's immigrant communities to better target the government's policy of teaching French to new arrivals.

The Conseil supérieur is the top-level policy arm of Quebec's language bureaucracy and advises the government on steps that need to be taken to protect French. The better-known Office de la langue française and the Commission de la protection de la langue française enforce the provincial language law.

Despite significant progress since the enactment of language laws in the 1970s, statistics show roughly twice as many immigrants have gravitated toward English rather than to French — a process tied to what is known as language transfer.

And despite intensive efforts aimed at francisation, roughly four in 10 immigrants still don't end up following government-sponsored French courses.

There are myriad theories as to why that is, but they mostly rely on anecdotal evidence, something the CSLF would like to change.

"We want to analyze the way we offer courses and to see in what measure we are addressing the needs. We want to look at the situation and see where the problems are.... It would be useful and important to go and see what's happening," says Pierre Georgeault, the agency's director of research.

"For some immigrants, the integration has gone quite well, for others, there has been more difficulty."

And so the organization has hired researchers to go and meet community leaders to sound them out on a variety of questions. Their report is due in the fall.

Provincial statistics show that Quebec opens its doors to roughly 45,000 immigrants annually, compared to a national total of more than 260,000.

Representatives from several minority groups contacted by the Toronto Star greeted news of the effort with bemusement and, in some cases, suspicion.

In the decades since the implementation of Bill 101, the province's language law, some groups have felt unfairly targeted by inspectors who visit employers to make sure business is done in French.

Despite the close attention, many immigrants say they can live without speaking the majority language, largely because they interact with members of their own community first and foremost.

"We adapt, we get by. People are flourishing in their businesses. I can tell you of a photographer, or someone who works for Asian Television Network, we can get along fairly easily without speaking French," says Naeem Bhatty, executive director of the Pakistani Association of Quebec, which says it represents the province's roughly 20,000 Pakistani Canadians.

Bhatty's experience illustrates several facets of what the Quebec government considers a persistent and vexing problem.

He immigrated to Montreal 30 years ago and even today speaks limited French, even though his wife and children have learned to speak it fluently. Bhatty's older brother, who married a francophone, speaks French at home, even if the brothers communicate either in Urdu or in English.

And Bhatty's son, who is studying commerce at McGill University — where the language of instruction is English — isn't closing the door to moving to English Canada after graduation.

"He has a friend, a schoolmate who went to school in French with him and who says `I don't use my French, I'm moving to Alberta,'" Bhatty says.

Speak to leaders of the Chinese, Indian and Filipino communities — which are among the province's largest minority groups — and the story is much the same: Whereas second-generation immigrants subjected to the schooling requirements of Bill 101 typically learn French, their parents often don't.

`We adapt, we get by. People are flourishing in their businesses'

Naeem Bhatty, who speaks limited French

But the Quebec government has also focused more clearly in recent years on attracting immigrants from French-speaking countries in Europe, Africa and the Caribbean.

Government officials say that shift is thwarting the historical "language transfer" toward English among immigrants whose mother tongue is neither English nor French.

However, figures compiled by noted University of Ottawa mathematician and demographer Charles Castonguay — who has done extensive research at the provincial government's behest — show that despite the progress, more immigrants learn English than French.

The statistics show substantial gains for French since 1991, but Castonguay argues the resurgence is due to changes in methodology and is "largely artificial."

Despite the presence of Bill 101 and other measures, English remains the more popular second language among immigrants in both percentage and real terms.

"The substitution of English in place of French and the substitution of French in favour of English most often end up favouring English," Castonguay says in a 2005 report prepared for the government.

Georgeault agrees with Castonguay's analysis — but only to a point.

He says there's a generational component to immigration, and that the large migrations from places like Italy, Greece and South Asia in the 1950s, '60s and '70s have tapered off in favour of arrivals from countries like Vietnam and other Francophonie members.

In the former case, as many as 80 per cent took English as their second language; in the latter, 75 per cent use French.

"Whereas the proportion of French to English speakers among immigrants used to be 20 per cent/80 per cent, now it is 46 per cent/54 per cent. And that is a separate issue from the language of work, which is overwhelmingly French in Quebec," Georgeault says.

The question of language transfer and francisation are prickly topics in Quebec, and are a flashpoint, especially among nationalist politicians.

Some members of the Parti Québécois pushed the former PQ government to forbid the children of immigrants to attend English-language schools, even at the junior college level, a proposal that was ultimately shelved.

Language is never far from the surface in PQ debates, and party officials privately muse that plans to further tighten some language requirements could benefit the party in the next provincial election, expected next year.

Quebec law stipulates that any company with more than 50 employees must obtain a francisation certificate and undertake to help its workers learn French, but a majority of businesses in the province — and most of the stereotypically immigrant businesses like restaurants and corner stores — have only a handful of workers and are exempt.

To meet the legal requirement, the government offers a complicated patchwork of language training.

Some is arranged in public schools and colleges by the provincial immigration department, other courses are funded through the Conseil, still others are given in private schools.

To further complicate matters, the vast majority of immigrants to Quebec settle in Montreal — the official figure hovers around 80 per cent — and there is a healthy percentage of those people who relocate to English-speaking Canada within five years.

The provincial Liberals, who enjoy broad support among allophones in the province, are keenly sensitive to issues affecting immigrants.

To that end, the government recently announced a series of policies aimed at making it easier for immigrants to transfer their professional qualifications — a plan that even won grudging plaudits this week from former PQ premier Bernard Landry.

He said immigrants will play a key role in attenuating the effects of Quebec's rapidly aging population, and that "it's about time" more foreign credentials were recognized.

www.thestar.com . . .
Guest   Sat May 27, 2006 5:57 pm GMT
<<www.thestar.com . . .>>

Oh god, Adam's sources get worse........

What next...... Razzle?
greg   Sat May 27, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
Ah Adam ! Enfin un sujet... Tu veux faire exploser le compteur — genre « Vive le Québec libre » ? Trop drôle !
Adam   Sun May 28, 2006 10:17 pm GMT
French really is silly!

The sooner it's extinct, the better for humanity.
greg   Tue May 30, 2006 6:20 am GMT
Adam : en remplaçant « French » par « Adam », ta phrase gagnerait en exactitude.
Adam Clone 1138   Tue May 30, 2006 12:43 pm GMT
Don't be too hard on Adam.

There are so many counterfeit Adams now that he no longer has any idea what he's saying.

Of course, he didn't have any idea before, either.
Stella   Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:46 am GMT
Quebec legislation amazes me. Why can't they just accept their fate and stop imposing laws on people? Don't they see that forcing French down immigrants' throats doesn't work? They shouldn't blame anyone but themselves and their low birth rate. Bilinguiilism in Canada is a total joke. I don't have anything against the French, I hold something against their fascist tactics. As if tongue troopers are going to save a culture. Sounds desperate to me. First of all, most immigrants want to learn English if they don't already know it, because it's practical. Many immigrants leave Quebec anyway so their assimilation tactics are completely ridiculous. I don't think they want to promote French culture, I think it's more about being anti-English, which is a waste of time and money. If Quebec separates, I just wonder how long it will survive.
A6059HV   Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:55 am GMT
Stella:

I do hope you feel better for getting that off your chest. An anti-French rant can do wonders for you, can't it? Ask Adam - he'll tell you.

But are you suggesting that Québec authorities are wrong to require immigrants to the province to learn French? Last time I checked, French was one of the official languages of Canada and the principal language of the province. It's no more unreasonable of Québec to expect immigrants settling there to learn French than for Alberta to expect they learn English.

I don't disagree that expectations immigrants will want to learn French are largely misplaced; immigrants want to learn English because they see that as the way ahead. It's the global language of business and Canada sits right on top of the US. Hard to get folks interested in French.

But that's another issue entirely.

If you are Canadian and, as you claim, "[b]ilinguiilism in Canada is a total joke," what have you done about it? Are you are French speaker? If not, why not? Or like so many, are you missing a golden opportunity to learn a second language simply because you don't like Québec?
Adamant   Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:11 am GMT
Is Canadian French as far removed from French French as Canadian English is from English English?

And how does New Caledonian French compare with either FF or CF?
A6059HN   Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:11 am GMT
"Is Canadian French as far removed from French French as Canadian English is from English English?"

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "far removed."

Inasmuch as we would not expect someone from Calgary, Alberta to speak English as if they were from Bognor Regis, we should not expect someone from Chicoutimi, Québec to speak French as they were from Bar-sur-Aube.

The family of Canadian French dialects is very distinct but still very much French. If you understood French, and entered a room where all the people were French French speakers except one from Québec, you'd have no trouble identifying that person by voice.