Correct usage of "off" and "from"

Kumar   Tue May 30, 2006 9:22 am GMT
Can we use 'from' in place of 'off". Can somebody through more light on this? For example take a sentence..." He LEAPS off the bed". Can we say "He LEAPS from the bed".
Jim   Tue May 30, 2006 1:24 pm GMT
It's "throw" & no, we can't always use "from" in place of "off". For example you wouldn't say "The light is from." Even the example you gave has some slight difference in meaning.
Ant_222   Tue May 30, 2006 2:53 pm GMT
Can you tell us, what the difference is, please? I hope, it's not so subtle, that it's difficult to express it in words...
Liz   Tue May 30, 2006 7:38 pm GMT
Yes, you can say "he leaps from the bed" that makes perfect sense, although it makes you sounds posher.

if, as in jims example you are using "off" to mean "not working" or "not functional" as in "the light is off" "the day was called off" then no it cant be used as from has no meaning associated with not working

however in the case you used where off is being used to reffer to somethings positioning then yes.
off in "he jumped off the bed" is reffering to the fact he has moved from the bed, moved away, he is no longer on.

this is difficult to explain. yes they are the same word but they are not being used in the same way.
the light is off -states that the light is not working
he jumped off the bed - states that he is no longer physicaly on the bed

from is a word used, sometimes to also describe positioning.
for example jim (i assume you are english or an english speaker, correct me if youre not) you might say "its not far from the truth" or you could say "its not far off the truth". ok so you dont often say "far off" but it does make sense.

basicly if off is being used to describe positioning then yes you should be ok.

i hope that is clear, i found examples really hard to find!
Dripping wet bitch   Tue May 30, 2006 8:34 pm GMT
"He LEAPS off the bed"

Oh my God, that's so hot! I imagine some hot, young, springy fella leaping from his lovely boy-scented bed and into the morning sunlight that caresses his handsome body.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Adam   Tue May 30, 2006 9:34 pm GMT
Adam runs from his clone pursuers.

Adam runs off to another thread to find a new hiding place.
Dripping wet bitch   Wed May 31, 2006 4:44 am GMT
Any springy lads here?
I prefer the milky-skinned British ones.....mmmmm
Kumar   Wed May 31, 2006 5:29 am GMT
Thanks Liz.

I didn't mean "not working" or "not function" for the word "off" in my example sentence.

So as Jim said, when you want to say " This light is off", it doesn't make sense if "from" is used in place of "off".

My doubt is, in spoken english we use "from" more offen than "off". So it is easy to say that "He leaps from the bed" than saying "He leaps off the bed". I understand from Liz that in some cases we can use "from" in place of "off" and not in all cases we can do like this.

In Adam's example we may not be able to say that "Adam runs from to another thread to find a new hiding place".
Mary Offofacot   Wed May 31, 2006 8:55 am GMT
You can certainly leap off a bed, and you can leap from one too. You can do either of these things anywhere, but it is not everywhere you are able to leap off of a bed.

Do not despair. Indications are you will also be able to leap from of certain beds before long.