What language should I learn at university?

CHINESE   Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:14 am GMT
Jav
<To use in 'direct' suroundings
-Chinese
-Japanese
-Korean
-Indonesian>

I'm afraid that your opinion is not fully correct, Indonesian may be the least important language all over the surrounding countries, perhaps it's even much less useful than Thai and Malaysian in Asia.

And our Chinese people do NOT like everything about Indonesian, because Indonesian people are all ungrateful to the huge help from China, such as a great deal of economic aid and medical treatment service, as well as material and foods aid. And they even cruelly massacred so many Chinese abroad, plundered Chinese shops and raped Chinese girls.

Indonesian are an low-grade nation and should be punished by tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption, and turbulence, sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.
The One ...   Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:40 pm GMT
You are wrong, Jav. Here Min-nan Chinese isn't spoken.Not many people use min-nan here.The oldest Chinese dialect (Traditional Chinese) is written here.And also I and the rest of the Taiwanese people here speak mostly Mandarin as it is the most useful dialect of Chinese, you know. But including rubbish lorries many services use English in Taiwan.One in Taiwan should know English enough to understand what's spoken daily.
Jav   Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:48 pm GMT
>>I'm afraid that your opinion is not fully correct, Indonesian may be the least important language all over the surrounding countries, perhaps it's even much less useful than Thai and Malaysian in Asia. <<

My list wasn't depending on order.

>>And our Chinese people do NOT like everything about Indonesian, because Indonesian people are all ungrateful to the huge help from China, such as a great deal of economic aid and medical treatment service, as well as material and foods aid. And they even cruelly massacred so many Chinese abroad, plundered Chinese shops and raped Chinese girls. <<

Although I think it's imposible for one chinese can speak for billions ... I never claimed such a thing.

>> Indonesian are an low-grade nation and should be punished by tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption, and turbulence, sow the wind and reap the whirlwind. <<

What a sick thing to say.Go see a doctor.
intrigued   Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:59 am GMT
what a tenacious crew in this chat...
however, i am rather appalled at the following statement:

"Indonesian are an low-grade nation and should be punished by tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption, and turbulence, sow the wind and reap the whirlwind."

that's an awful fate to wish upon some one, especially a culture of which hasn't offended you as an individual on a personal level (from what you have stated). might i add that you may want to refrain from making statements such as this one, as the crudeness and obnoxious prejudice discredits you.

and although i do sympathize with the "sick-and-tired-of-debating-the-'best'-language," i am curious as to what would be a useful language in my area of the world, which is Texas of all places, besides the obvious being spanish. i would like to learn an asian tongue, preferably Japanese or Chinese. i guess this is a sort of "which language is the language of the future," but only because i have a true curiosity as to what your opinions are. may it also be noted that i have narrowed it down to either japanese or chinese. i realize that the practicality of a language pertains to your motives. mine is along the lines of science as well as medicine.

sincerely appreciative,
the ignorant, egotistical texan
Mandarin Chinese   Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:05 am GMT
Intrigued

When it comes to the science, it strikes me that advanced science and technology mostly derived from US and Europe (esp.Germany), and Japan could always acquired those knowledge by careful study or direct indraught, and Japan tended to master the main harvests of science and technology a little more timely and effectively than China did. So you don't have to learn science through either Japanese or Chinese.

On the other hand, if you want to keep your eyes widely open on the aspect of medicine, I suggest that you should choose Chinese to learn. people couldn't be the real medicine experts without studying profound Chinese traditional medicine. And the harvest of Japanese medicine were for the most part derived from China in all ages. So it's quite important for medicine fans to learn Chinese, and Chinese language will probably guide you to the sea of knowledge about Chinese herbalist doctor.
CHINESE   Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:14 pm GMT
learn chinese the best language on the earth
The one ...   Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:51 pm GMT
I already know Chinese, even Mandarin dialect.Coz im a Taiwanese.And im searching the other important languages.
Taiwaner   Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:18 pm GMT
Japanese, German, or Italian.
Magnun for the one   Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:51 am GMT
I want to be an interpreter so, i speak portuguese, spanish, french but, i dont know speak english very well i came here for go to the univercity. i am 17 years old if you know some web site for help me speak english thank you.
The Guest   Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:26 pm GMT
Jav-

Can you remove that foot long stick out of your ass and listen to the man. We don't need your liberal, hyper catalanized ass dishing it out and not getting dished back.

Spanish is useful and universal throughout the world. Taiwan used to be a Spanish colony, and the dummies gave away their island to the secesionist Portuguese who called the island Formosa, which is bastardized Spanish for Hermosa, meaning beautiful. Spanish would be of use in the Philippines, which is geographically closer to Taiwan then any other nation bar the PRC.

intrigued, what about German? historically, it was the second language of dixieland.