Canadian

Mr. Fields   Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:43 pm GMT
<<Very strange indeed. I'm from New Zealand is use none of these examples.

In New Zealand: 'to colorise'>>

Likewise, I'm from Victoria, Australia and I also use "colorise".
Tiffany   Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:47 pm GMT
So do you use "colour" of "color"?
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:42 am GMT
Mr Fields,
Interesting to hear that so spelling from state to state in Australia varies? As I'm from New Zealand the most common spelling is 'colorise' with a smaller minority who would spell it 'colourise'. The 'ize' versions are unheard here well for me though.

<So do you use "colour" of "color"?>
Huh?
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:45 am GMT
<Likewise, I'm from Victoria, Australia and I also use "colorise". >

It could explain the closer relationship Southern states of Australia have with New Zealand than their northern counterparts.

The Tasmanian and parts of Southern Victoria accents are quite similar to the New Zealand accent. Unsure of New South Wales though.
Uriel   Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:57 am GMT
A tuque is a hat and poutine is ... gross-looking. Although I've never tried it, so I can't speak to how it tastes....
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:59 am GMT
'Colorize'
United States of America
(also acceptable in New Zealand but not in common use.)

'Colorise'
New Zealand
Australia

'Colourise'
United Kingdom
South Africa?

'Colourize'
Canada
(also acceptable in the United Kingdom but not in common use.)

Very confusing and for the first time this isn't some form of American vs British saga.
Jim   Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:16 am GMT
I'm from Australia (NSW) and would never dream of spelling it "colorise".
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:05 am GMT
Ok Jim so I was right about the spelling varies among Australian states. So I updated the list.

'Colorize'
United States of America
(also acceptable in New Zealand and certain states (VIC) of Australia but not in common use.)

'Colorise'
New Zealand
Australia (Victoria State)

'Colourise'
United Kingdom
South Africa?
Australia (North South Wales)

'Colourize'
Canada
(also acceptable in the United Kingdom and certain states (NSW) of Australia but not in common use.)
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:18 am GMT
Eww! Sorry! Mistake!

<(North South Wales)> Should be (New South Wales)
Uriel   Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:23 am GMT
ws
Frances   Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:48 am GMT
colorise -wtf? I've never spelt it like that and nor have I seen it spelt like that and I'm originally from Adelaide, Australia. Always "colourise".

"The Tasmanian and parts of Southern Victoria accents are quite similar to the New Zealand accent. Unsure of New South Wales though."

Where did that come from? Southern Australians sounds nothing like Kiwis. I thought for a while that maybe South Australians do but that's only because of what Victorians think that. We're all still distinct from Kiwis.
Liz   Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:46 am GMT
I agree with Jim and Frances on the spelling in Australia of colourise, as colour is rarely spelt "color" here , and the same applies to "-ize". I was taught to spell such words as "colour" and "realise" etc, and that's the way they always seem to be spelt in the newspapers.

What's wrong with colour as a verb anyway? Colour, coloured, colouring. Works for me, and I've never yet been asked by my children to buy them some colourizing-in books.
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:37 am GMT
<I agree with Jim and Frances on the spelling in Australia of colourise, as colour is rarely spelt "color" here , and the same applies to "-ize". I was taught to spell such words as "colour" and "realise" etc, and that's the way they always seem to be spelt in the newspapers.>

Of course 'colour' is spelt with a 'u' in New Zealand but for some reason we would spell 'colorise' without the 'u'. It's a strange pair but it's happens to be the way here. I cannot really comment on the development of the inconsistent spelling (Colour vs colorise/ize) we use in New Zealand.

Strange enough we are pretty strong retaining on the 'u' in 'colour' as oppose to 'color' without the 'u'. Though while in Auckland there have been signs of change from 'colour' to 'color'. Haven't seen it throughout other parts of New Zealand but as roughly 25% of the New Zealand popluation lives in Auckland so there is a chance the rest of us would have to follow the city folks.

Bloodly Aucklanders. ;P
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:43 am GMT
< I thought for a while that maybe South Australians do but that's only because of what Victorians think that. We're all still distinct from Kiwis.>

Huh? Of course we are distinct from Kiwis but the accents spoken down here are closer to the Kiwi accent compared to an accent from NT, QLD or WA.
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:48 am GMT
Thread called 'Canadian' and here we talking about Australians and New Zealand English? LOL oh well.