Are there unique words in your language?

Sanja   Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:55 pm GMT
And the same goes for "paprikás" - we use "paprikaš".
Sander   Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:29 pm GMT
Linguist, is this a 'Samovar'?

http://www.chgs.umn.edu/Visual___Artistic_Resources/Toby_Knobel_Fluek/The_Samovar/samovar.jpg

According to the discription:

"Only rich people owned a samovar. It was used to make tea for visitors. The coals were placed in the center compartment, and water was poured into the belly. A container with tea was placed on top of the samovar."
Ed   Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:26 am GMT
Sanja, we have the exact same words in Bulgarian - pogacha and paprikash.
Ed   Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:28 am GMT
Stefaniel P Spaniel, Bulgarian has the word shmeker to describe a dishonest person.
Linguist   Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:05 am GMT
Yes, Sander, this is Samovar, but i guess everyone had it, now it's used also, but we have electric samovars or it's put just for decoration.

here are "valenki"
http://vmp.technet.ru/small_img/2/5142.jpg
http://www.babyplanet.ru/uploads/photo2/val8.jpg
http://www.trakt.ru/image.php?id=100003435

they are still popular, there's even a "valenki" museum, and "valenki" haute couture;)
Sanja   Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:47 pm GMT
"Sanja, we have the exact same words in Bulgarian - pogacha and paprikash."

Yeah, I guess they exist in the most Slavic languages. Maybe Hungarian took it from the Slavic languages? Or was it the other way around?
Easterner   Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:40 am GMT
>>I think pogacsa is the kind of food word which would be translated as 'dumpling' in English.<<

I'm afraid I have to correct you here. What English would call "dumpling" is in Hungarian called "gombóc", or "knedle" in some Slavic languages. This is the usually rotund piece of plain dough (sometimes mixed with potatoes), usually with some filling (we prefer fruit or jam in Hungary), and cooked in water or sometimes baked. It can also be made of a batter-like mixture of cheese, semolina and eggs, cooked and served with breadcrumbs. On the other hand, "pogacsa" is the round cake with a layered structure that may have some cream, cheese or other addition worked into the dough, and is always baked. For this latter food, bilingual dictionaries give an approximate definition, something like "a round salty cake" but no proper English word seems to exist for it.
Easterner   Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:42 am GMT
<<"Sanja, we have the exact same words in Bulgarian - pogacha and paprikash."

Yeah, I guess they exist in the most Slavic languages. Maybe Hungarian took it from the Slavic languages? Or was it the other way around?>>

It seems to me that the first one came from Slavic to Hungarian, and the second one from Hungarian to Slavic - resulting in a good barter transaction. :)
Stefaniel P Spaniel   Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:44 pm GMT
You know Easterner, you are quite right. I had forgotten. Pogacsa is the cake which often has a kind of poppyseed (mak) mass in spread on it and then rolled up. Tasty.
They have something similar in Poland, although the name eludes me...It is specility of Slupsk or some such place. (as well as being uniquley Magyar, of course!)

But it is true, (isn't it?)that far too many Central and eastern European foods get called 'dumplings' or 'cabbage stew' or some similar lazy shorthand.
Christefano   Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:22 am GMT
A personal favorite of mine is "pampiervampier," which literally translated from Afrikaans is a "paper vampire," or stapler.

I recommend The Meaning Of Tingo, by Adam Jacot de Boinod. It's is a wonderful compendium of words and phrases from around the world. The word "tingo," for example, is an invaluable word from the Pascuense language of Easter Island) which means "to borrow objects from a friend's house, one by one, until there's nothing left."
libelula   Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:57 am GMT
What's the difference between "dumplings" and "perogies"?
And yes,we have those in Romania as well.And they're called "coltunasi".
Easterner   Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:09 am GMT
In Hungarian we have a word which I think is unigue: "jöttment" (literally: "come-and-gone") It is a rather derogatory reference to a person whose background is unknown or dubious, or who comes to a certain neighbourhood from another, unknown surrounding, and is therefore considered as not to be fully trusted until "checked out." It is similar to "stranger", but the latter is rather neutral in comparison. It can also be used in a similar sense as "Tom, Dick and Harry" in English, but again, it is not completely the same.

Do you have anything similar in your own language?
Easterner   Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:18 am GMT
libelula: >>What's the difference between "dumplings" and "perogies"?
And yes,we have those in Romania as well. And they're called "coltunasi".<<

As I see it, both have a filling, and both are cooked, but a dumpling is made of a thicker dough (in Hungary, it usually has potatoes in the dough), and is usually round. Perogies are much the same as Italian "ravioli". We have a type of perogies in Hungary filled with jam (plum jam is the best for the purpose), cooked in boiling water and overlaid with breadcrumbs. It is called "derelye", but more humorously, also "barátfüle" ("friar's ear"). It can also be overlaid with poppyseeds.
Easterner   Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:27 am GMT
"Dumplings" also have an Italian equivalent: "gnocchi." The latter are also made out of a mixture of potato base and flour, but other ingredients, such as spinach, cheese, etc. can also be used instead of potato. They are therefore invariably salty, while most types of dumplings I know are usually sweet.
Stefaniel P Spaniel   Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:00 pm GMT
Lets get back to the discussion of 'dumpling' type things.

"Perogies" should be "pierogi" (the -i ending is the plural anyway, so there isn't really any need to pluralise.)
By 'salty', Easterner, you mean 'savoury.'
'Galuska' in Hungarian would be usually translated as 'dumpling'. Dumplings are often found in soups, where they certainly are not sweet, and accompanied by cheese ('Toth Galuska', I think you'd call them.)

Some words in Polish which would be all translated as 'dumplings' by your average lazy translator: pierogi (definitely not dumplings, as they are filled pockets), pyzy, kopyta, kluski, (pierogi) leniwe, knedle... - they are all (sometimes subtly) different, some containing mashed or grated potato with the flour and egg.