I'm new here,I love English

paul   Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:13 pm GMT
I'm a new guy here, but I am so glad to find so many of you guys here who are talking some stuff like English learning.I love English so much,though I haven't mastered that language, however I will try my best to learn. Nice to see you friends!
Damian on way home   Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:01 pm GMT
Hi Paul.

I hope you enjoy this Forum about the English Language...you will soon learn to sift the dross from the decent and post accordingly. You say you haven't mastered our Language yet......most of us here still have a lot to learn about it, even though we've been speaking it since we graduated from baby talk.

English is constantly changing in many ways.....only today, here in the UK, there has been a discussion on the BBC about the change in meaning of words in English, some quite drastically, and largely based on age factors. For example, in the UK* some words now have totally different meanings for teens than they do for practically any other age group.

*This applies particularly to England, apparently...at the moment anyway, but will no doubt soon spread to the whole of the UK. When a teen says "Wow, that's really bad!" means it's good!....the best thing since sliced bread.....it great, it's cool.

Gay no longer means homosexual in the UK...it means anything that's not good!...it's minging, below par, poor, dreich (in Scotland), unsatisfactory.

If that doesn't confuse learners of modern British (English mainly) English then nothing will, I reckon. You just have to keep up to date with the speed of change. It's always been going on.......to William Shakespeare the words "brave" and "merry" did not mean what they do to us now in the 21st century......as at the time of writing anyway as far as I know....it may have changed since last week, who knows without checking.
Kirk   Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:50 pm GMT
<<I'm a new guy here, but I am so glad to find so many of you guys here who are talking some stuff like English learning.I love English so much,though I haven't mastered that language, however I will try my best to learn. Nice to see you friends!>>

Welcome, paul!

As Damian said, this site can have some great conversations but since there's no registration the spammers and crazies try to get their messages out. So just ignore the lame stuff and enjoy the good!
paul   Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:19 am GMT
Hi, Damian,
It's cool of what you said. Yeah, I admit that you're right. Times change, everythings change, and English do too. As far as I'm concerned, the reason I learn English is in order to learn the cultures of those English spoken countries and to communicate with their people. Now I feel great I can communicate with you, Mr Damian. It's amazing! And thank you.

<<Welcome, paul!

As Damian said, this site can have some great conversations but since there's no registration the spammers and crazies try to get their messages out. So just ignore the lame stuff and enjoy the good! >>

Thanks Kirk. It's very kind of you.
I do believe I can learn a lot here and enjoy these great conversations. Most important I could get a lot of good friends like you.
Laura Braun   Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:32 am GMT
better try www.yuku.com
Guest   Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:21 am GMT
'bad' meaning good and they gay thing are in America too.
also sick.
More   Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:52 am GMT
Hi! paul & everybody

I am also a new one in this forum. Nice to meet you here. I am learning English on my own way. My way is just reading books written in English as much as I can. That is the only thing I have done. To practice speaking and writing, there is no one who can speak English fluently in my near round. There is no one who can correct my mistake.
I feel I am very lucky to find out antimoon where I can improve my English proficiency.
I would like to participate in this forum and get many friends from all over the world. I hope I can learn from you.
Please teach me and correct my mistake.

Thank you.
Rolandkun   Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
"Awesome" as well.

I met this word several times on American TV shows at night. The origninal meaning seems disappeared. The current meaning appears to refer to something fantastic or wonderful (at least not bad). But I have no idea of when it means the otherwise.
paul   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:02 am GMT
yep,I have seen "awesome" several times.Just like:
A: Let's go for Chinese food.It's on me.
B: Awesome!

Obviously "Awesome" here means "great,cool,wonderful".
Hermione   Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:30 am GMT
"Gay no longer means homosexual in the UK..."

Really?

Most of the over-thirty women in the world named Gay, Gae, Gaye, Gaylene etc. will be relieved to be characterised as merely unsatisfactory, and may have renewed hope that they will eventually be considered
light-hearted, sportive, mirthful, showy, or brilliant, as intended by their remorseful parents.