Mexican accent

learning spanish   Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:33 pm GMT
most of you are not getting the question. any american can imitate mexican english. this person wants to speak spanish without an american accent. i have the same desire because i am learning also and am constantly being corrected by my mexican peers. the best way is to surround yourself with the people whose language you are trying to learn. dont be afraid to sound like an idiot because you will until you learn correctly. i am the only american at my current job and my peers correct me all of the time. however, at the same time, they try very hard to understand me and allow me the opportunity to speak. in the same way, i take my time to understand those who are trying to learn english. we have a great time laughing at our differences. they give me hell over the r's and i give it back with the d's and z's.
Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:25 pm GMT
Yes, Mexican Spanish lacks the "sh" sound, but I don't think it is so difficult to replicate. It is easy. In fact , despite it is not a word, in Spanish if you want somebody to stop talking loud and keep silent, you pronounce a long "sh" sound with your index finger in front of your mouth.
Guest   Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:22 am GMT
This reminds me of a joke I heard years ago.

The cowboy walks into a hotel. The bellboy asks him "How many sheets do you want on your bed?" The cowboy replies "I reckon I'll take 2."
Next the Indian walks in and the bellboy asks him the same thing. He replies "I'll take 2." Then a Mexican walks in - the bellboy asks him the same question.... the Mexican then replies "If you sheet on my bed kill you."
Guest   Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:26 am GMT
Last line should have been.

"If you sheet on my bed I kill you."