redundancy

lu   Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:56 am GMT
"I personally think this statement is not appropriate"

I discussed this sentence with my friend and he told me the word "personally" is somewhat redundant here. Because "I" has already shown that it's a personal opinion.But i think "personally" here may avoid unwanted offense to some sensitive people. Any advices??
Uriel   Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:01 am GMT
It's not redundant. It implies that you are aware that this is your own personal opinion, and that you are aware that other opinions may vary. It's a sort of qualifier that adds a nuance of meaning on top of the simpler "I think this statement is not appropriate", even though on the face of it, both sentences literally mean the exact same thing.
Guest   Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:34 am GMT
>>But i think "personally" here may avoid unwanted offense to some sensitive people. Any advices?? <<

Yes, it adds to the tactfulness of the sentence but beyond that, it is redundant.
Glikeria   Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:24 pm GMT
lu, ADVICE can take no plural: any advice, some advice, a piece of advice.
I wish smb corrected me,too.
greg   Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:24 pm GMT
<I personally think (...)> est ce qu'on appelle un pléonasme — d'autant plus regrettable que l'effet produit s'apparente à du verbiage (au mieux) ou à de la vanité (au pire).

Si l'on veut nuancer l'affirmation <I think (...)> et accuser encore davantage son caractère subjectif, une solution consiste à la remplacer par l'équivalent anglais de Fr <à mon avis> <selon moi> <d'après moi> ou Al <meiner Meinung nach> etc.
Guest   Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:48 am GMT
English isn't French so the above phrases won't function the same way or cross over properly. Such effects alluded to are scanty possibilities that are context-driven.

As Uriel noted, the nuance is effected by the qualifier "personally" which serves as an intensifier. For this reason it isn't a simple pleonasm.
lu   Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:54 am GMT
thanks to all of you.
By the way,Greg i will thank you more if you have the time to teach me French so I can understand you.