homo tendencies in the English language

viri amaoro   Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:24 pm GMT
Every language has its "spirit". Some things are more commonly said in some languages than in others. All languages have its "hidden" asumptions, things that are so natural to that language that when it gets translated it cause a slight "strangeness" in speakers of other languages ("they say that/that way in their language?...).

Has anyone noticed the strong homosexual tendencies of the English language? There are some expressions that are said in English with such ease and naturality, between friends, strangers, lovers, members of the same family that I wonder if languages really do have an inner core of assumptions (or tendencies) that simply are not shared by other languages.

Here are some very common homo-friendly expressions in English (especially American-English) that would sound very, very strange and awkward/embarrasing if translated into my language, Portuguese (I suspect the same would happen if the litteral translation was made for other languages):

- You're an ass-hole!

-You ass is mine! (threat of rape??)

-I'll have his ass! (desire for a male??!)

-I want his ass!

-Your black ass is mine! (inter-racial thing?!)

-kiss my ass!

-He's a jerk! (masturbator??)

-Dick-head!!

-Suck me, bitch!

-You cocksucker!

-You dumb-ass!

-You motherfucker!! (this one, really, is unbellivable...)

All these expressions apparently are very common and said without much thought, specially the "ass & kiss" ones.

Does this say something about the English language???!!!!...
Dude Who Knows   Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:05 pm GMT
I don't know... many of those expressions are intentionally making reference to homosexual relations, although not in so much in an erotic way as in a dominering way. I would venture to guess that most homosexual men would find them offensive. Many make direct reference to homosexuals in a derogatory way, such as "cocksucker".

Some you've misinterpreted. "Jerk" simply means a rude or foolish person, and by itself has no connection to the masturbating. If somebody wants to reference that expression, they'll simply call the person a "jerk-off". Names like "dick-head" and "ass-hole" aren't so much homosexual references, as they are simply following a long tradition of referring to people as various names for genitalia and other body parts as a means of insult. This applies to female as well as male genitalia. "Motherfucker" has no connection to homosexual relations, but rather to incestuous ones.

Basically, I don't think you can claim that there a homosexual tendencies inherent within the English language itself. All those expressions could be translated into just about any language as is. You'd have a better argument if you stated that English-speakers have more of a tendency to invoke homosexual imagery in their expressions.
Scottish English Damian   Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:07 pm GMT
Although it's the English Language, those "homo" expressions are from American English, not British English.
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:51 pm GMT
I have read that English swearing is characterized by relying heavily on sex and body functions, in contrast to e.g. Dutch, which uses disease names as swear words and my own native Norwegian, which uses more religious swear words (devil!, hell!, damned! etc. I know these also feature in English, but they have a stronger flavour in Norwegian, more like English "fuck")

My theory about the reason for this is that English-speaking countries were the ones most heavily affected by 19th century prudery and the general Victorian obsession with masturbation, potty training and propriety. For moral Victorians in both the UK and the USA, both of which were among the world's most urbanized, secular and liberal states, mentioning the ass was probably much more taboo then mentioning the devil.
Glikeria   Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:26 pm GMT
The assumption is absolutely wrong. One can find such things in most languages.
I do agree with Damian, though, because I first heard them from American films. And I've been wondering if they were really so common among most Americans.
Guest   Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:21 am GMT
British English homo related expression:
- arsehole
- bugger: "bugger off"
- sod: "sod it"
- poof/poofter/willy woofta
- poojabber
- batty boy
- ponce
- cock up
Some of the above have become considered to be milder these days.

More general:
- wanker
- tosser
- slag: "slag off"