What ya think better? English or Australian accent?

Claire   Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:37 pm GMT
I wouldn't know about the variations of the Australian accent, but im sure there are plenty.

being a brit myself i'd have to say english, but, my own personal favourites are Geordie and Liverpudlian, im not so keen on dorset or summerset accents, and my own, southern... which i never hear as an accent, so not really counting that

x
Rene   Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:47 pm GMT
O.K. here's my evaluation. Sorry if it sounds really dumb or uneducated but its just my opinion and I can't help it and I don't mean to offend anybody.

Nothern English: If its a guy speaking this he sounds totally hot. If its a girl she sounds like a cute little country farmer or something.

Standard Southern English: usually sounds really smart, like anything they say is about 500 times more intelligent than if it came out of my mouth (and it probably is too Hahaha)

Liverpool: what did you just say? I catch about every four words

Londoneers: could ya stop pronouncing your th's as f's please if you were in the states you get sent to speech class just like I did.

Scottish: They sound really happy most of the time especially those from the Edinburgh area. I was watching National Treasure last night and there was a Scottish guy wondering why he could never get any girls. My answer, talk more. It doesn't really matter what you say because your accent has so much appeal.

Welsh: O.K. I haven't really heard this one much but I watched some Welsh independent film last week and it sounded sort of like a mix between cockney and Scots English to me. It took the full two and a half hours of movie time to get used to it.

Australian: I'll be honest, I have no idea if there are any regional variations here and I can't hear the difference between it and New Zealanders accents. Like I said before it sounds really laid back and it always makes me think that the person speaking has a good sense of humor (no idea why). Once I get past imagining the person speaking saying various Steve Irwin lines I get everything they are saying. This one also sounds very trustworthy, like you just instantly trust Australians for no reason.

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know that was all just my perceptions and have no base in fact so you can say that all you want and you can tell me that I'm really stupid too, but I already know that also. So go ahead, have a field day with this post.
Adam   Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:38 pm GMT
"Londoneers: could ya stop pronouncing your th's as f's please if you were in the states you get sent to speech class just like I did. "

Only if Americans stop pronouncing T's and D's.
Adam   Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:39 pm GMT
That should be -

Only if Americans stop pronouncing T's as D's.
Rene   Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:56 pm GMT
Tell you what Adam, I'll try pronouncing all of my t's correctly for a week and I'll try not to say like too many times like the Californian I am if you try to say all of your th's as th's and not f's. I didn't think you were from London. Anyways, I'll see how hard it is for me if you want to see how hard it is for you Deal?
Bob   Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:19 am GMT
Okay Adam, I'll try to stop pronouncing my T's as flaps (they're not really D's anyway), if you start pronouncing T's correctly in such words as "better" instead of your "be'ah".
Rene   Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:12 pm GMT
See Adam, Bob and I are willing to try it out for a little while if you are.
Kelly   Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:10 pm GMT
Australian accents sounds hilly/lowclass to me.
How are you goin' to die?

[today] :lol:
zzz   Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:25 pm GMT
Ok. I'll start pronouncing all my t's as t's, if you, Adam, agree to speak Upper RP for a week, starting now. Deal?
Pete   Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:51 pm GMT
<<No accent. Speak with your natural native accent. And be proud of it. You don't need to put on a native English speaking accent in order to appease those people who speak that accent.>>

There are not universal patterns to say this or that accent is better. It's entirely a subjective thing. As such, it depends on you which accent you consider more appealing and nice sounding.

Speaking your own non-native accent can be a bit of a problem, it depends on how heavy your accent is and how well you speak English... If your English is good, then your accent will not interfere much, because what you say is consistent and makes sense. But say your English is good but your accent is terribly harsh, and no one can seemingly catch what you say. Then you need to improve your pronunciation skills.

No matter what you say... If you are a non-native speaker, and you learn to speak good English with a native English accent (here, I mean any accent, some English accent, American, Australian, Irish, etc) that's the ultimate game of skill, and that's what an English learner should be looking forward to.

Speaking a language like a native is your goal...

Pete from Peru
Pete   Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:55 pm GMT
<<"Londoneers: could ya stop pronouncing your th's as f's please if you were in the states you get sent to speech class just like I did. "

Only if Americans stop pronouncing T's and D's.>>

<<Ok. I'll start pronouncing all my t's as t's, if you, Adam, agree to speak Upper RP for a week, starting now. Deal? >>

LOL, Just try it for a week.

Pete
josh   Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:37 am GMT
i hate when people can`t tell the the difference between australian accents and new zealand accents. so I`ll explainit to you new zealand accents are the result of mixture of welsh sing songy speech refined southern english and scottish the result is awful
Australian:
What an amazing thing. The circus is very cool.
New Zealand:
What en amazing thung. the curcus is very cole
Australian has much more of an irish origin with cockney and scouse mixed in over the years it has become more refined as general australian english as spoken by cate blanchett, hugh jackman often mistaken by americans
as British
Me   Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:03 am GMT
>> Australian:
i hate when people can`t tell the the difference between australian accents and new zealand accents. so I`ll explainit to you new zealand accents are the result of mixture of welsh sing songy speech refined southern english and scottish the result is awful

What an amazing thing. The circus is very cool.
New Zealand:
What en amazing thung. the curcus is very cole <<

Oh wow. Australians speak completely Standard American English. I must have an Australian accent, because I say it "What an amazing thing. The circus is very cool." I didn't know that Australians had the same accent as me. Cool. New Zealanders must speak really funny.
from OHIO   Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:12 am GMT
Woe moe foe
englishTom   Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:22 pm GMT
English, but i do like the aussie accent, but is it true, american girls dig english accents?