And '03 model car.

Lazar   Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:30 am GMT
I find "twenty-ten" to be more natural than "two thousand ten" (I don't use "and" here), or at least much less cumbersome. I think my preference for the "twenty" forms increases even more as the years get higher - analyzing "2087" as "two thousand eighty-seven" just sounds ridiculous to me. To draw an analogy with a previous millennium, I universally hear that William of Normandy conquered England in "ten sixty-six". Saying "one thousand sixty-six" just sounds weird and cumbersome to me.
Travis   Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:15 am GMT
The thing is that while "twenty ten" is definitely more succinct than "two thousand and ten", for some reason my dialect seems to prefer the latter over the former despite the former's clearly being easier to say. Why, don't ask me. And yes, around here one would normally say "ten sixty six" and not "one thousand and sixty six", which makes such only more confusing.
Uriel   Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:25 am GMT
I think 2010 will be two thousand ten, since here we are in 2007 and everyone's blithely saying two thousand seven. I don't think it'll switch to twenty until we hit the teens. But we'll see, I guess!
George   Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:21 pm GMT
<<I find "twenty-ten" to be more natural than "two thousand ten" (I don't use "and" here), or at least much less cumbersome. I think my preference for the "twenty" forms increases even more as the years get higher - analyzing "2087" as "two thousand eighty-seven" just sounds ridiculous to me. To draw an analogy with a previous millennium, I universally hear that William of Normandy conquered England in "ten sixty-six". Saying "one thousand sixty-six" just sounds weird and cumbersome to me.>>

The problem with the "twenty-ten" however, is with the years 2021 to 2029. "twenty twenty-one" etc. seems repetitive and difficult to say in fast speech.