what's the use of a dictionary?

james   Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:00 am GMT
if you meet a new word when you are reading,you can locate it in a dictionary according its spelling,and find its meaning.but if you meet a new word when you are listenning,because you don't know how to spell it,then what to do?
Guest   Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:03 am GMT
You try to guess its spelling? Or ask someone?
FLANK   Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:22 am GMT
Agree with you ,GUEST.
Jack.Zhou   Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:43 am GMT
Maybe I will continue to listen it again and again, and then I can guess the mean of the words which I can't understand at the first time. If after some times repeat listening, I also can't make it clear, I will consult others or look up it via other materials.
Boy   Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:01 pm GMT
James...then you must have an electronic dictionary like collins cobuild on your desktop... for example, if I heard a word "ambivalent" on BBC news channel and If I guessed/typed "amivalent" or "ambivilent"(how it sounded on my ears) into its search box then it would show the correct word "ambivalent". Of course, there is no such option available with print version. It is always a good idea to note the whole setence not just word itself and then you can ask for help from native speakers by pasting the exact context right here on the forum.
james   Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:27 am GMT
Hi ,Boy. would you like to tell me where I can download an electronic dictionary like collins cobuild? Thank you .
Boy   Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:14 am GMT
Hi, james. It is not free. You have to buy it online. It costs only 10 bucks.
And then I believe that you don't need to buy any other dictionary for the rest of your life when it comes to electronic dictionaries. It is a complete dictionary and it is a pleasure to work with it. You can also install it on your computer drive and you don't need to insert CD everytime you have to search a word.

=======================================
Cobuild New Student Dictionary 3rd edition (CD for PCs)

A talking dictionary with British English with some American English. Installs to Disk. Includes Grammar book with computerized exercises

USD $10.00

http://www.elearnaid.com/collinscobuild.html
=======================================
Boy   Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:19 am GMT
Sorry for recommending you the wrong edition of the dictionary.

Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner Basic CD

* Talking 4th Edition Dictionary
* Plus 5 million words of additional example sentences
The Resource Pack CD has three more reference books.

It costs only 10 bucks. This dictionary you must have.