british movies

Youness   Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:57 pm GMT
please
can you tell me the titles of the best british movies? because I do want learn their accent OK? thanks for your hellp
kelly key   Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:47 am GMT
trainspotting
Uriel   Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:57 am GMT
Gosh, Youness, there's a million of them. Try to narrow it down for us!
Damin in Edinburgh   Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:35 am GMT
Take your pick of the whole listing of British films, but you need to be more specific on the type of film you have in mind as British cinema has covered practically every aspect of life and subject matter and storyline, from before WW2 right up to the present time.

There is a link below for you to take a wee peek at.

If you have a particular film in mind then just click on the appropriate initial letter of the title and you'll get full details. No sound effects though, so you won't get an idea of the accents, especially those films where the action takes place in specific parts of the UK.

An interesting film just released is one called "The Wind that shakes the Barley". Basically it's about the activities of the British army in Ireland just after WW1 and the Irish rising against British occupation. A whole range of accents.

I wonder why people insist on mentioning "Trainspotting"! OK you get a good idea of the Scottish accent, but not the true Edinburgh accent, that's for sure. Apart from Ewan Mcgregor, none of the actors have connections with this city and the accents in the film are much more Glaswegian. Anyway, the dosser smackhead lowlife in the film (which does exist) is not at all representative of this fine city! :-) Every large city has its share of the less savoury side of life to varying degrees.

The listing in this link seems to be bang up to date, and includes films made since the year dot. Accents and voices in films have changed big time over the years and the old black and white films are hilarious to watch, and the English English accents sound really weird. They sound as if they were being throttled as they speak.

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/
Youness   Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:17 pm GMT
Thanks you all
I'll try to buy the Trainspotting. it seems very old but its efective I thing I will talk a scotich accent heheh lol. You know I love their accents. I try to say "Ok" in scotich accent lol. and "How are you" in british accent. in fact I really want some movies contains the rich people anglands or scotichs they have a different accent..........? What do you say?
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:29 pm GMT
Trainspotting is 10 years old now (filmed in 1996). Much has moved on since then...certainly the drug/substance abuse scene here in Edinburgh is a lot less in existence due to a whole range of preventative and support programs.

Amazon is a fantastic site to buy DVDs etc. (to buy anything and everything in fact). Really great discounts compared with the stores.

If you are outside the UK I'm not sure what the situation would be regarding deliveries etc. Check the site out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/283926/ref=cs_nav_tab_d/202-8488400-4622239

Info on Trainspotting:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-8488400-4622239

Watch the film often enough and you'll sound like a native born Scot, not just with the OKs or the "How are you?" stuff. Usually the last greeting is a lot less formal than that....different versions here in Scotland, like the rest of the UK I reckon.

Hey is not used here in Scotland actually - well, not much if at all really. We hear it most when we watch "Friends".