Is English the least "Germanic" language within th

zxczxc   Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:54 pm GMT
also dry and trocken, although that's a little less obvious
Benjamin   Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:07 pm GMT
And also 'oder' and 'or', although it isn't quite so obvious either. However, 'humides' can be translated as 'humid' in English, even though it wasn't in that particular case.

Having said that, sometimes English can resemble French more than German. Here's an example of something which someone posted on this forum a while ago (corrected into better French):

En français:
J'ai inventé une langue artificielle qui est très facile d'apprendre avec la grammaire minimale et une vocabulaire très petite. La majorité de la vocabulaire est derivée par l'anglais et il y a des additions par le français. C'est une méthode excellente pour la communication internationale, n'est-ce pas? Est-ce que cette langue est compréhensible pour vous?

In English:
I have invented an artificial language which is very easy to learn with minimal grammar and a very small vocabulary. The majority of the vocabulary is derived from English and there are additions from French. This is an excellent method for international communication, isn't it? Is this language comprehensible for you?

Auf Deutsch:
Ich habe eine künstliche Sprache erfunden, die sehr einfach zu erlernen ist mit minimaler Grammatik und einem sehr kleinen Wortschatz. Die Majorität des Wortschatzes werden aus Englisch abgeleitet und es gibt Hinzufügung aus Französischem. Dieses ist eine ausgezeichnete Methode für internationale Kommunikation. Ist diese Sprache für Sie verständlich?

(I realise that the German is unlikely to be grammatically completely accurate).
zxczxc   Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:25 pm GMT
True, the vocabulary may be closer in this instance, but with the grammar, etc., there's still a distance between English and French.
LAA   Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:26 pm GMT
Yes. I say that all the time. It seems like most basic, low level words are Germanic in origin, while usually the more advanced words seem to be imported from French. We owe 60% of our vocabulary to French, so there you go.

A lot of common everyday words, and especially the numerical system, is very similar to German. Almost all of the cardinal numbers and the rest of the numbers seem just like their English equivalents, with only a difference in phonology.
Benjamin   Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:30 pm GMT
« but with the grammar, etc., there's still a distance between English and French. »

In some ways though, English grammar is more like French grammar than German grammar (e.g. word order, lack of inflected cases etc.).
LAA   Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:41 pm GMT
Here are more examples of the Germanic element in basic words in English and in German. Now, if you pronounce the German letters correctly, you will arive at a word which is extremely close to the English equivalent.

Eng - boy, Ger - junge (like "young" or youth)

Eng - girl, Ger - Madchen (like the English "maiden")

Eng - man, Ger - mann

Eng - house, Ger - haus

Eng - hello, Ger - hallo

Eng - fire, Ger - feuer

Eng - water, Ger - wasser

Eng - wind, Ger - wind

Eng - heat, Ger - hitze

Eng - hunger, Ger - hunger

Eng - God, Ger - Gott

Eng - love, Ger - Liebe

Eng - good, Ger - gut

Eng - cold, Ger - kalt

You see, these are all very basic, primitive words, which were commonly used, and were not going to be supplanted by French words after the Norman Conquest.
Sander   Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:41 pm GMT
>>In some ways though, English grammar is more like French grammar than German grammar (e.g. word order, lack of inflected cases etc.). <<

Yes, but on the other hand English does have strong verbs etc.
zxczxc   Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:42 pm GMT
That's saying what they lack, rather than what they have in common; French has a past tense, whilst neither English nor German does. Also with the adjectives coming after the noun.

English and German share the same foundations, it's just that on top of the English foundations comes a lot of French vocabulary.
Sander   Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:39 pm GMT
zxczxc,

>>That's saying what they lack, rather than what they have in common; French has a past tense, whilst neither English nor German does. Also with the adjectives coming after the noun. <<

What?! then what tense is "He walked to the store" ?

Adding Dutch:

Eng - boy, Ger - junge (compare "Bube") , Du - jongen (compare "boef")

Eng - girl, Ger - Madchen (compare "maiden"), Du - meisje(compare "maiden")

Eng - man, Ger - mann, Du - man

Eng - house, Ger - haus, Du - huis

Eng - hello, Ger - hallo, Du - Hallo/Hoi (compare "ahoy")

Eng - fire, Ger - feuer, Du - vuur

Eng - water, Ger - wasser, Du - water

Eng - wind, Ger - wind, Du - wind

Eng - heat, Ger - hitze, Du - hitte

Eng - hunger, Ger - hunger, Du - honger

Eng - God, Ger - Gott , Du - God

Eng - love, Ger - Liebe, Du - liefde

Eng - good, Ger - gut, Du - goed

Eng - cold, Ger - kalt, Du - koud
zxczxc   Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:02 pm GMT
Woops, I meant to say a future tense, e.g. j'irai or whatever it is in French. English and German require "will/shall" and "werden" respectively.

Also with "boy", in English you'll often hear "young'un", which is basically the same as the German and Dutch.
Sander   Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:29 pm GMT
That doesn't mean they have no future tense
Guest   Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:38 pm GMT
Even so, it lacks a future tense where the verb itself changes... unlike French.
Sander   Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:32 am GMT
"lacks"?
Guest   Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:57 pm GMT
>>In some ways though, English grammar is more like French grammar than German grammar (e.g. word order, lack of inflected cases etc.). <<

This is true, but it's not due to French influence.

English grammar (syntax) is Scandinavian and is the result of the two people groups living side by side during the Middle English period. Compare the following sentences for "I will sell you the horse that pulls my cart" in Old English and Old Norse:

Old English- Ic sello the thaet hors thaet minne waegn draegth.

Old Norse- Ek mun selja ther hrossit er dregr vagn mine.

[cf. Mod. Ger.- Ich werde dir das Pferd/(das Ross) das meinen Wagen zieht verkaufen. <OR>- Ich verkaufe dir das Pferd/(das Ross) das meinen Wagen zieht.]

Modern English follows word for word the Old Norse sentence except for the placement of "my" after the noun. This transfer of syntax was already in progress BEFORE French had any sizeable influence on English.
Guest   Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:25 am GMT
The future tense in Romance languages IS derived somewhat like in germanic--it consists of the

Infinitive + the conjugated form of HAVE, used modally and in postposition (except for first & second person plural which just use the verbal conjugation).

For instance French "I will eat" is "je mangerai" ("je" + "manger" + "ai" or "I" + "eat" + "have" [i.e. I have to eat, I will eat]).

The future tense in Latin involved using an -ab- added to the stem as in "amabo", "I will love".