How did Spanish remain so close to Latin?

Georgero   Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:57 am GMT
Sorry about my English, I still find it difficult to post it without editing. I'll be more careful next time :
a.p.a.m.   Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:45 pm GMT
"I've seen written Basque many times, and it in no way whatsoever resembles Latin at all!!!" LAA "That is because it is not even of the Indo-European language family. It is a totally isolated language not belonging to any other major group. " I know that, smarty pants. I've known that for a long time. Long before you were born.
LAA   Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:59 pm GMT
Well gee wiz my dear elder sir. With your exclamatory comment about Basque not seeming to be similar to Latin, it sounded as if you were suprised, and therefore possibly ignorant of the fact that Basque is not within the same family. So, I'm sorry for the comment if I insulted your intelligence.
Aldvs   Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:37 pm GMT
Unfortunately I can't find information good enough to learn more about Latin but the little that I've seen about it makes think that what Romance languages have more in common with Latin is mainly about vocabulary. In fact I'd say that some grammatical aspects of Latin resembles more to Japanese that to romance languages. :-)
a.p.a.m.   Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:02 pm GMT
Dear LAA: I question your intelligence. A 140 I.Q.? I doubt it. And by the way, cut the crap with all this other non-language related stuff on these forums. Nobody's impressed. And quit harassing all the guests at that hotel. Didn't your mother and father ever teach you to respect other peoples privacy?
LAA   Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:30 pm GMT
Hey A.P.A.M.! How old are you? 80? 85? Can you wipe your own butt still?

I'm not trying to impress anyone either. Linguistics is not exactly my forte. I am more into politics, economics, and history. So, I am more inclined to speak about historical topics than some others might be.

And I am not harrassing the guests at my hotel. They are asked if they wish to participate in the survey to begin with, so that if they decide to decline, they are not pushed. They also understood that is for school purposes.

I always ask people at the most opportune moments also, during their leisure time, usually at the pool, once we have already been talking.

You can question my intelligence all you want, because quite frankly, I don't really care what you think. I don't respect you because you are rude, easily offended (do I detect some insecurity, maybe daddy issues?), and haughty. You are a bitter old man, or at least you sound like one.
Benjamin   Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:47 pm GMT
Just of interest, LAA, is it the norm in the US, or at least in the part of the US where you live, for workers at large hotels to chat informally to their customers? It isn't here. Personally, I wouldn't like it if the workers at a hotel at which I was staying here suddenly started randomly nattering to me, but they don't, so it's never an issue. Of course, if that's the norm where you're from then that's fine.

Just of interest... what exactly is your job at the hotel? It certainly seems to give you a lot of opportunities to talk to a lot of people!
LAA   Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
Some people would object to answering your question, but I don't mind Ben, because I am a very informal, chatter box, joking, down to earth person, unlike some people here. I have a couple of jobs here during the summer. I work as a bellman, and as busser in the restaraunt. But, keep in mind that for the time being, I am also a guest at the hotel. Boeing is currently paying for us to live there, while we are waiting for our new home to make it through escrow. That is how I usually how I conduct my surveys with the guest, when I'm not working. I don't bother customers at their table, while they're in the middle of a meal or anything. That would be rude even where I come from.

But, I guess because I'm such a light hearted young fellow, most people I meet informally don't have a problem discussing the survey question with me. I am tactful about it though.
a.p.a.m.   Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:34 pm GMT
A final message to you LAA: I'm not going to get into a spitting contest with an adolescent.
LAA   Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:11 pm GMT
Why? Is your mouth not producing as much saliva in your old age? Poor bugger, I hear that is quite common amongst the elderly. Don't forget to take your alzhiemer's medication.
Juno   Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:16 am GMT
How did Spanish remain so close to Latin?

It just did, Spanish was always fond of Latin; in Ancient and Medieviel times. Hence, Spanish obtained a vast majority of words & pronunciation from Latin.
greg   Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:51 am GMT
Luis Zalot :

« Spanish, Italian, Logudorese, Greek & Romanian all have very similar phonology towards Latin. Although, Spanish & Logudorese (greek, too) are very similar to "Classical-latin's" Phonology.

Evolution degree from Latin.
Sardu 8%
Italian 12%
Spanish 20%
Romanian 23.5% »

Luis a encore gagné le trophée Mario Pei. Bravo !

Ces chiffres sont une tarte à la crème : ils reviennent périodiquement et illustrent parfaitement •••••••••L'IGNORANCE••••••••• de ceux qui les emploient sans savoir ce qu'ils signifient.

Voici le texte •••••••••INTÉGRAL••••••••• : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langues_romanes

« L'on peut donner ici les résultats d'une étude menée par M. Pei en 1949, qui a comparé le degré d'évolution de diverses langues par rapport à leur langue-mère ; pour les langues romanes les plus importantes, SI L'ON NE CONSIDÈRE •••••••••QUE LES VOYELLE TONIQUES•••••••••, l'on obtient, par rapport au latin, les coefficients d'évolution suivants :

sarde : 8 % ;
italien : 12 % ;
castillan : 20 % ;
roumain : 23,5 % ;
occitan : 25 % ;
portugais : 31 % ;
français : 44 %.

L'on voit ainsi facilement le degré variable de conservatisme des langues romanes, la plus proche du latin phonétiquement (EN NE CONSIDÉRANT •••••••••QUE LES VOYELLES TONIQUES•••••••••) étant le sarde, la plus éloignée le français. »
fab   Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:50 pm GMT
SAlut Greg,

peut être qu'il serait bien de traduire le texte ci-dessus en Anglais ou en Espagnol; La plupart des gens qui lisent ce texte et qui ne parlent pas le Français, et continuent à penser que l'étude de Pei démontre que le Français ne serait une langue latine qu'à 40%, ce qui est bien entendu totalement stupide.
fab   Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:59 pm GMT
Para los que no entienden el frances :

" Podemos dar aqui los resultados de una estudia realizada por M.Pei en 1949, quien ha comparado el grado de evolucion de las lenguas romances las mas importantes, si SE CONSIDRA, SE TOMA EN CUENTA SOLAMENTE ---- LAS VOCALES TONICAS ---- se obtiene, con relacion al latin, los coficientes de evolucion siguientes :

sardo : 8 % ;
italiano : 12 % ;
castellano : 20 % ;
rumano : 23,5 % ;
occitano : 25 % ;
portugues : 31 % ;
frances : 44%.

Se ve asi facilemente el grado variable de concervatismo de las lenguas romances, la mas cercana del latin foneticamente 'cuando se considera solamente las vocales tonicas) es el sardo, la mas lejena el frances. "

Esta estudia no toma en consideracion el vocabulario, la gramatica, ni la evolucion fonetica de otras cosas que las vocales tonicas.
fab   Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:02 pm GMT
" The French are imbeciles of their own nationalism, now we know where Romanian got it's inspiration. "

Este texto no es de Benjamin, no somos estupides !
Benjamin es una persona digna y repectuosa, aunque en algunos momentos podemos no estar de acuerdo.