Lexical similarities between French-Spanish-Italian

*CaRLoS*   Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:13 pm GMT
El portuguese puede libar mi pinga. Jo!
*CaRLoS*   Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:17 pm GMT
Ladino is the closest to Spanish. Ladino is almost identical to Spanish. Portuguese is a nasal nightmare to us Spanish-speakers. Portuguese sounds like a DRUNK spanish-speaker...lol...with that slapstick remark. I give you the Ladino.

Take a look,

http://www.sephardicstudies.org/quickladino.html =site

and listen to some auditors.

http://www.sephardicstudies.org/ladino/ladino-sample2.mp3

http://www.sephardicstudies.org/ladino/ladino-sample.mp3
Guest   Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:40 pm GMT
Padre nuestro que estás en los cielos, santificado sea tu nombre. Venga tu Reino. Hágase tu voluntad, así en la tierra como en el cielo. El pan nuestro cotidiano, danosle hoy día y perdónanos nuestras deudas, así como nosotros perdonamos a nuestros deudores. Y no nos induzcas caer en la tentación, más liberanos de mal. Amen. (SPANISH)

Padre nostro che sei nei cieli, sia santificato il tuo nome. Venga il tuo regno, sia fatta la tua volontà, come in cielo così in terra. Dacci oggi il nostro pane quotidiano, rimetti a noi i nostri debiti, come noi li rimettiamo ai nostri debitori e non ci indurre in tentazione, ma liberaci dal male. Amen. (ITALIAN)

Pai nosso que estás nos céos, santificádo seja o teu nome,.Venha o teu reino, seja feita a tua vontade, assim na terra, como no céu. O pão nosso de cada dia nos dá hoje, e perdoa-nós as nossas dívidas, assim como nós perdoamos aos nossos devedores, e não nos induzas à tentação, mas livra-nos do mal. Amen. (EUROPEAN-PORTUGUESE)

*Disunity of European-portuguese and Brazilian-portuguese as seen here.

Pai nosso que estais nos céus, santificado seja o vosso nome. Venha a nós o vosso reino, seja feita a vossa vontade assim na terra como nos céus. O pão nosso de cada dia nos dai hoje, perdoai as nossas ofensas assim como nós perdoamos a quem nos tem ofendido, não nos deixeis cair em tentação e livrai-nos do mal. Amén. (BRAZILIAN-PORTUGUESE)

Pater noster, qui est in coelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum, fiat voluntas tua sicut in coelo et in terra. Panem nostrum cottidianum da nobis hodie et dimitte nobis dedita nostra, sicut nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in temptationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen. (CLASSICAL-LATIN)
Gian Luca   Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
CaRLoS - - senza dubbio, tu se pazzo. Ladino no se una lingua maggiore, quasi non esiste...e Ladino che ha un porcentaggio di parole Portoghese.

"Il portoghese è molto vicino allo spagnolo, con intercomprensione molto buona tra i parlanti delle due lingue...." http://www.linguasiciliana.org/linguistica_file/comunicazione.htm
Rolando   Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:22 pm GMT
For a Spanish speaker, what type of portoghese would be easy to learn... European or Brazilian & as for French which one would be easy European or Canadian...?
Pedro   Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:37 pm GMT
Here with go again with the BP and EP baloney. The differences are attributed to preferences of word usage - that's all. Perfectly identifiable either way. There are many versions of this prayer in Portuguese and Spanish. I could even write a Portuguese version of this prayer which would be even more identical to the Spanish version, because for every Spanish word, there is almost always an identical Portuguese equivalent.
http://www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/JPN-portuguese.html

Either way of writing this prayer, or saying it, is perfectly identifiable between EP or BP. Frankly, I'm not sure these translations are totally correct anyway. I'm going to check. But I'm guessing that this prayer would have word usage variances in some Spanish speaking countries as well. There are different varieties of Spanish in case some of you didn't know e.g., Mexican, Argentinian, Cuban etc. In fact, whithout checking, I am almost certain that there are several versions of this prayer in Spanish.
Pedro   Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:44 pm GMT
Rolando, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to visit Brazil, then you'd probably want to learn the Brazilian Portuguese variety. If you went to Quebec, then Quebecois French. If you went to Argentina, then Argentinian Spanish. You get the picture.
Mr.Who   Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:23 pm GMT
There is not such thing as "Argentinian Spanish". There's only one Spanish language, accents, there are a lot.
Pedro   Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:07 am GMT
Oh, that's right, Mr. Who...and there is no American English, no Quebecios French, etc. Suddenly, Spanish is the only language spoken everywhere that is totally pure Castilian Spanish - I think not. There are at least 3 acknowledged varieties of Spanish, senor: Castilian Spanish, Mexican Spanish and Argentinian Spanish. But these are just labels to refer to the particular brand of Spanish spoken in those countries. Cuban, Dominican, and Nicaraguan Spanish for example, are also considered distinct varieties of Spanish as well, at least in the spoken form, and to a lesser extent the written. So what? Having said that, all varieties of a mother language are perfectly legitimate in their own right - at least they should be. One can split hairs over everything in life. But the fact of the matter is that English is English, French is French, Portuguese is Portuguese, and Spanish is Spanish.
*CaRLoS*   Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:14 am GMT
Ladino is the closest to Spanish. As Brennus has pointed out in many posters PRIOR to this feud. Various languages (catalan, asturian etc) within Spain are FAR closer to Spanish then Portuguese. Italian is the sister language of Spanish and people regard it as it being the closest and understandable in all it's aspects.

European-portuguese is almost unintelligible towards Brazilian-portuguese in the phonetic and grammar sense. It's almost like they're two different languages, as linguists point out. So don't give me that crap. Castilian and it's variants (latin-america) STILL by far understand eachother, and latin-america still uses tu, unlike Brazil, which they use voce as both formal / informal.

poronchos! haha, joooder.
Rolando   Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:22 am GMT
No one has to bit my head off... If I was asking this its because I've read alot about diffrent vocabulary and grammar adn accents marks in Euro-Portugues & Brazilian Portuguese... as for French Canadian & Euro-French too.

Take for example, Day, in euro portugese its the same as spanish, Dia & Brazilian its like saying Gia...? and as for brazilian portuguese there way to many accents than euro portugues... I was reading the prayer above that Guest posted and the brazilian portugues has alot more vocalbulary and stuff going on.

And another thing, when I was in high school, in my spanish class, my spanish teacher would always say that Spanish & French are similar in Grammar...? How is that even possible...?

I believe that Italian is alot like spanish phono. ... and the other hand French & Spanish have nothing alike.... 75% please.

Good-Nigh
Mark   Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:27 am GMT
I agree with you Pedro. I am a Canadian of European descent - I studied languages in university, and I became fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, Fench, and German. Consequently, I have travelled a lot. The Spanish from South America, the Carribean, Central America and Mexico all sound distinct from one another, and certainly different from the harsh Castilian from Spain. I even often noticed spelling, grammar and word usage differences in the various Spanish speaking countries. Sometimes it's a kind of word play, but rather insignificant in the greater scheme of things. I'll tell you this: my European Spanish, European Portuguese and European French never failed me in other countries in the world where these languages are officially spoken. There were differences, yes, but not nearly enough to hamper communication in any measurable way. Well, that's my experience anyway.
Latinoboy   Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:51 am GMT
CaRLoS, please do everyone here a favor and go fly a kite. With the uneducated nonsense you speak you shouldn't even be allowed in here. Ladino is almost extinct...we are talking about major, modern day Romance languages. Besides, Ladino has many Portuguese words in it.

Portuguese and Spanish 89% lexical similarity...no other romance language pair beats that. That's a fact of life my friend. But I don't expect you to understand reason, because you have an obessession with Italian that prevents you from absorbing logic and facts based on evidence. Italian and Spanish lexical similarity = 82%. Portuguese and Spanish 89%. Suck it up.

EP and BP unintelligible to who exactly?? To you?? All the Portuguese and Brazilians I know understand each other perfectly. It really bothers you doesn't it? You just hate the fact that Portuguese is spoken by over 200 million people on 4 continents, and that many Spanish speaking Latin Americans are learning Portuguese as their 2nd language. Many South Americans already had a good knowledge of Portuguese before the Mercosur agreement anyway. The others that didn't, will now learn it in school in a heartbeat because of the great similarity between Spanish and Portuguese. And even the Chinese are learning Portuguese since they have strong relations with Brazil, Angola, Portugal, and even East-Timor.

Many Spanish speaking Latin American countries prefer the 'ustedes' instead of 'tu'. Oh, and by the way, in Argentina they use 'vos' instead of 'tu'. Becha didn't know that. Of course not.
guest   Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:56 am GMT
For those, like CaRLos who obviously missed this the first time, here is a little excerpt taken from a linguistics academic paper on the great closeness between the Spanish and Portuguese languages.

Introducción

"Entre las lenguas románicas, el portugués y el español son las que mantienen una mayor semejanza lingüística. Las afinidades entre ellas son tan grandes que Ulsh (1971) establece, por ejemplo, que más del 85% de los vocablos en portugués tienen cognados en español. Son, de hecho, lenguas tan próximas, que son casi variantes dialectales una de la otra...."

NILMA NASCIMENTO DOMINIQUE

http://elies.rediris.es/Language_Design/LD6/dominique.pdf

Do you need a translation of this CaRLoS????
Guest   Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:00 am GMT
Ok everybody or anybody, from all of the 5 romance laguages, can anyone tell me what are the lexical similarity to Latin...? I bet this is hard one...

Spanish to Latin __%
Italian to Latin __%
French to Latin __%
Portugese to Latin __%
Rumanian to Latin __%

I'v always wondered about this...!